This site provides you with cyber safety tips and advice, updates on the latest cyber alerts, a link to free anti-virus software (Symantec), training videos and a link to report cyber security incidents. The cyber threat landscape is constantly evolving and cyber security is everyone's business! It is more important than ever to be aware of the risks and to apply practical steps to ensure you are cyber safe. Read on for more information and tips.
Cyber Security Improvement Program
Cyber security is everyone's responsibility
Cyber security incidents can have serious outcomes. Institutions as well as individuals are targets and it is more important than ever to apply practical steps to ensure the Griffith community is secure.
With this in mind, we are embarking on a major cyber security improvement program, which will enhance the cyber security capabilities of the university. A number of the program’s initiatives will affect you including;
- Introducing a safer way to connect your devices to the Griffith University and Eduroam Wi-Fi networks (via Wi-Fi certificates)
- Vulnerability scanning to ensure the Griffith network is kept up-to-date to reduce our chance of being targeted through out of date software
- Phishing simulation which will build your awareness around being scammed
- Cloud-based enterprise password manager to assist groups and individuals in managing and administering passwords and sensitive data
- Multi-factor identification which will improve the security around your Griffith login’s providing an extra layer of protection
- Cyber security awareness module to provide you with practical steps to ensure your online safety
Cyber Security Essentials Training
As part of the Griffith Integrity Program, the Cyber Security Essentials training module aims to build awareness and understanding of cyber security responsibility, key threats, mitigation actions and cyber security incident reporting.
The Cyber Security Training will take approximately 20 minutes to complete. At the end of the module, you will be asked to undertake an online assessment to check your understanding of the key concepts presented.
The training module should be completed by all new staff at induction and annually for all staff.
Training module coming soon...
Griffith Wi-Fi security improvements
We are updating the security around how you access Griffith Wi-Fi. This will give you more secure and trusted access to our Wi-Fi network, keeping you safe from potential cyber threats.
If you use the Griffith University Wi-Fi network, you will need to install new security settings on your laptop, phone, tablet or other Wi-Fi device.
- February to May 2019: Pilot for Digital Solutions Staff
- July to August 2019: Pilot for Corporate Services Staff only.
- Mid-Trimester 2: Wi-Fi security improvements available to all students and staff.
- End Year 2019: Old method to connect to Griffith University Wi-Fi turned off.
Cyber Security Alert Service
Alert services provides the latest information about cyber security news, threats and advisories relevant to Griffith University staff and students. Stay up to date with the latest information here.
Alerts, News and Advisories
- Australia Cyber Security Centre BlueKeep exploitation
- ANU Data Breach Information
- Information on the Marriott Starwood Reservation Breach
- Is your password protected?
- Only use official Griffith University Wi-Fi
- Try the phishing cyber savvy test here!
To ensure your device is protected from the latest exploits and vulnerabilities you should always keep your device up to date.
Report a security incident
Report a phishing incident, password compromise, ransomware or other suspicious activity.
Manage your password
Your password is the key to protecting your identity and your data. A good strong password is easy to remember and hard to guess.
Information management for staff
Learn more about information security classification (formerly data classification), data privacy, the information asset register and information storage advice. Requires staff login to access.
Find out more
Cyber security policy
Cyber security policy, standards and guidelines are designed to provide you with the tools needed to navigate your way through cyber security requirements.