Security office locations and contact details
|Campus||Location||Internal phone||External phone|
|Gold Coast||Level 3, Business 1 building near Student Guild office||7777||(07) 5552 7777|
|Logan||Entrance to L03 Wayne Goss Building||7777||(07) 3382 1717|
|Mt Gravatt||Entrance to Information Services building M23||7777||(07) 3735 6866|
|Nathan||The Circuit||7777||(07) 3735 7777|
|Queensland College of Art||Courtyard||7777||(07) 3735 6226|
|Queensland Conservatorium||Foyer||7777||(07) 3735 6363|
When reporting an incident, provide the following information where possible:
- location of the incident
- caller name and contact details
- nature of the incident (eg. burst water main, fire, injury)
- brief description of what has happened
- description of what you are doing now
- time the incident occurred.
A list of emergency contacts can be found in the Griffith App.
Emergency evacuation procedure
If the evacuation alarm sounds, or you are advised to evacuate the building:
- do not panic – remain calm
- leave the building immediately
- do not delay when gathering personal belongings or bags, this may delay your exit from the building
- do not use building lifts
- do not run, push or overtake
- go to the building's emergency assembly area and remain there (see evacuation plans)
- listen and follow instructions from building wardens, security officers, campus chief warden or emergency services personnel
- Fire alarm – close but do not lock doors
- Chemical/Biological threat – close but do not lock doors
- Bomb threat – leave doors open
- Do not re-enter the building, or leave the assembly area until given the all clear by building wardens, security officers, campus chief warden or the emergency services personnel.
Campus chief warden
The campus chief warden manages the initial University response to emergencies on campus. Griffith has two campus chief wardens.
Simon Somogyi (07) 5552 8959 (Ext. 28959)
Nathan, Logan, Mt Gravatt and South Bank
John Knight (07) 3735 3520 (Ext. 53520)
Campus chief wardens are identified by a white helmet
Building Wardens take charge of fire alarms and incidents within a building.
For individual building incidents, such as fire alarms and other incidents contained to the building, attending personnel may be identified as follows. Building wardens are to ensure, as far as practicable, the safety and if required the orderly evacuation of staff, students and visitors. Wardens are not to physically combat emergencies and are not expected to place themselves in danger.
Building wardens are encouraged to speak with staff in their area of responsibility to ensure all are aware of the building exit routes and closest assembly area to use should there be a need for an evacuation.
Note: While every effort is made by all emergency staff to collect and don their identifying apparel in an emergency, there may be occasions when this will not be possible. A lack of visible identification does not imply their roles and responsibilities for your safety is nullified. Please follow the instructions of any staff member who verbally identifies themselves as emergency management staff for a building or campus.