Choose from one of the below options to apply for a leave of absence

The leave of absence application process differs depending on what type of student you are.

Leave of absence is only available for current students. If you are a new student and wish to start studying at a later date, please refer to 'Defer your start date'.

Domestic undergraduate or postgraduate (coursework) students

Please note: leave of absence does not apply to single courses of study, GUESTS programs, cross-institutional study programs or six week teaching periods.

International undergraduate or postgraduate (coursework) students

Due to visa conditions, you can only take a leave of absence under certain circumstances.

Before applying for a leave of absence, you must first gain approval from your International Student Advisor.

Once you've gained approval, you can apply.

Undergraduate honours students

  • Download and complete the online honours student leave of absence request form.
  • Take completed form to your Honours Program Director for approval.
  • Submit completed form to the nearest Student Connect.

Higher degree by research students

You may apply for up to 12 months leave of absence throughout your candidature. However, leave will only be granted in the first six months of candidature in exceptional circumstances.

To find out more, contact the Griffith Graduate Research School or submit your request for leave via myGriffith > My research > My Candidate Centre.

Forgot to apply for a leave of absence?

You'll need to apply for readmission to resume your studies at Griffith

Returning from leave

Before your approved return date, we'll email you (via your student email account)  with information about how and when you can enrol again.

You're also welcome to return to your studies earlier than you have been approved leave for. Simply contact us and let us know your student number and the trimester you'd like to resume your studies.

Once your request has been approved, you will receive confirmation via your Griffith student email account.

Extending your leave

You may apply for a leave of absence more than once if your request for further time off falls within the maximum period of allowed leave for your program.

If you are an international student, you will also need to consider how this will impact on your visa conditions.

To apply for another leave of absence and extend your time off, follow the instructions above relating to the type of student you are.

The outcome of your request will be sent to your student email account.

Got questions?

We can connect you to all the answers.