Student Contribution Amount
Commonwealth Supported students receive a fee subsidy from the Australian Government however they are required to pay the remainder of their fees, known as the 'Student Contribution Amount'.
To be eligible for a Commonwealth Supported Place you need to be:
- an Australian citizen who will undertake at least one unit of your course of study in Australia OR
- a New Zealand citizen or permanent visa holder who will be a resident in Australia for the duration of your unit(s) of study, and
- have met the University's entry requirements for your chosen program, and
- have read the Commonwealth supported places and HECS-HELP information booklet, and
- complete a Request for a Commonwealth Supported Place and a HECS-HELP form, by the census date
Eligible Commonwealth Supported students may defer payment of their Student Contribution Amount to a HECS-HELP loan. You will repay this loan via the taxation system when your income reaches a certain level.
Calculating the Student Contribution Amount (SCA)
The Australian Government groups different areas of study/disciplines into 'Bands' and sets a maximum amount that can be charged for a year of full-time study in each Band. This is usually 80 credit points or four courses per trimester, however it may vary depending on the program you are studying.
You can calculate your student contribution amount using the Fee Calculator.
Student contribution bands in 2020
|Student Contribution Band||Disciplines in each band||Student contribution amount (per EFTSL )|
|Band 1||Humanities, Behavioural Science, Social Studies, Education*, Clinical Psychology, Foreign Languages, Visual and Performing Arts, Nursing*||$6684|
|Band 2||Mathematics, Statistics, Computing, Built Environment, Other Health, Allied Health, Science, Engineering, Surveying, Agriculture||$9527|
|Band 3||Law, Accounting, Administration, Economics, Commerce, Dentistry, Medicine, Veterinary Science||$11 155|
[*] Students considered as pre-2010 will be charged for Education and Nursing at the rate of $5348 per EFTSL.