Information on the Student Contribution Amount
Commonwealth Supported students receive a fee subsidy from the Australian Government however they are required to pay the remainder of their fees, known as the 'Student Contribution Amount'.
To be eligible for a Commonwealth Supported Place you need to be:
- an Australian citizen who will undertake at least one unit of your course of study in Australia; or
- a New Zealand citizen or permanent visa holder who will be a resident in Australia for the duration of your unit(s) of study; and
- have met the University's entry requirements for your chosen program; and
- have read the Commonwealth supported places and HECS-HELP information booklet; and
- complete a Request for a Commonwealth Supported Place and a HECS-HELP form, by the census date
Eligible Commonwealth Supported students may defer payment of their Student Contribution Amount to a HECS-HELP loan. You will repay this loan via the taxation system when your income reaches a certain level.
Student contribution bands in 2021
The Australian Government’s Job-ready Graduates reform package was passed on the 19 October 2020. The package includes changes to the student contribution for new students, who study in a Commonwealth supported place, from the 1 January 2021.
The Government has introduced Grandfathering arrangements for those students who commenced their program before 1 January 2021.
‘Grandfathered’ students will not be disadvantaged by the student contribution changes. If you are studying courses where the student contribution has decreased, you will be charged the decreased rates. If you are studying courses where the student contribution has increased, you will be charged the lower grandfathered rates.
Students who are not grandfathered, will be charged the new student contribution rates.
Student Contribution Bands in 2020
|Student Contribution Band||Disciplines in each band||Student Contribution Amount (per EFTSL )|
|Band 1||Humanities, Behavioural Science, Social Studies, Education*, Clinical Psychology, Foreign Languages, Visual and Performing Arts, Nursing*||$6,684|
|Band 2||Mathematics, Statistics, Computing, Built Environment, Other Health, Allied Health, Science, Engineering, Surveying, Agriculture||$9,527|
|Band 3||Law, Accounting, Administration, Economics, Commerce, Dentistry, Medicine, Veterinary Science||$11,155|
[*] Students considered as pre-2010 will be charged for Education and Nursing at the rate of $5,348 per EFTSL.
Student contribution bands for the higher education relief package in Trimester 2 2020
The following certificates will be charged in accordance with the table below:
- Graduate Certificate in Cyber Security (3350)
- Graduate Certificate in Data Analytics and Cyber Security (3378)
|Student Contribution Band||Student Contribution Amount (per 0.5 EFTSL )|
|HE Band 2||$2,500|