Are you working remotely?
With you, our Griffith community and families all moving to work remotely, we have some tips to help you reduce your internet/data usage and improve your connection.
If you experience ongoing connectivity issues working from home and you have already implemented our tips below we recommend contacting your home Internet Service Provider (ISP).
WORKING FROM HOME?
Tips to reduce data and get a better connection
- Video calling - turn off video and use audio only OR reduce the quality of the video (for Jabber and Microsoft Teams).
- Home congestion - reduce the number of devices connecting at the same time.
- Avoid data hungry apps such as Netflix, YouTube, music streaming (e.g Spotify, Apple Music, Pandora) or gaming while you are connecting for work.
- Make sure your router/modem is placed in an optimal position in your house and the signal is not blocked by walls or furniture.
- Turn off automatic syncing of your documents (OneDrive, GoogleDrive etc).
Read more about getting the best out of your home internet
You can also check out WhistleOut Australia - this website compares a variety of mobile and internet plans. It also provides easy to understand explanations about internet usage at home including What is a good internet speed and the video internet speed in your household.
How much data am I using per hour?
This table provide a rough guide of how much data you may be using per hour.
|App||Estimated data per hour|
|General web browsing - emails, Google Search, News and Weather (text-based content)||10 to 50 MB|
|Microsoft Teams (Video calls and meetings)|
|Spotify (Streaming music)|
|Gaming Online (PlayStation, Xbox)|