You can disclose or report an incident to someone at Griffith at any time. It’s on your terms

If you have experienced sexual assault, sexual or other harassment, bullying or discrimination it is not your fault and you are not alone.

The University provides a number of reporting, disclosure and support options for staff and students who have experienced or witnessed these behaviours.  We understand that disclosing or reporting sexual assault and harassment can be difficult and traumatic.  We are here to help, as soon as you are ready.

Getting help to understand your options

If you feel you have been the subject of sexual assault, sexual harassment, harassment, bullying or discrimination, you can seek information about your options from a range of services including the Counsellor, Violence Response and Prevention, a SASH ResponderHarassment & Discrimination Contact Officer or a Student Support Officer from one of Griffith’s four Student Associations (the Griffith University Gold Coast Student Guild, Griffith Student Representative Council (SRC), Griffith University Postgraduate Student Association (GUPSA), and the Gold Coast Association of Postgraduate Students (GCAP)).

Through these support services you can request your identity remain private. Whoever you speak to will not disclose your identity without your permission. If you do disclose your identity this information will be treated sensitively and with due regard for personal privacy.

SASH Responders

SASH Responders are a network of staff who have been trained to assist students and staff to understand their support and reporting options relating to:

  • sexual assault,
  • sexual harassment and
  • other types of personal violence including domestic and family violence.

SASH Responders are located in schools, departments and services across the University's five campuses.

Learn more about SASH Responders or find your local contact on the Griffith phone book.

Harassment & Discrimination Contact Officers

Harassment and Discrimination Contact Officers are a network of staff who have been trained to assist students and staff to understand the reporting and resolution options relating to bullying, harassment and discrimination at the University.

Harassment and Discrimination Contact Officers are located across Griffith's campuses.

Learn more about Harassment and Discrimination Contact Officers or search for your local contact on the Griffith phone book.

Options at Griffith

Please note:  This section provides details about the support options available.  Counsellors can provide information about and support to individuals going through the reporting process.  To report an incident, please see the Informal Reporting and Formal Reporting tabs above.

Counselling and wellbeing

Free, professional and confidential counselling is offered by Counselling and Wellbeing for a range of personal issues. Our staff are trained in supporting individuals who have experienced personal violence, including sexual harassment and sexual assault, either recently or in the past. Counselling appointments can be booked online, or by calling 5552 8734.

Priority appointments

Individuals affected by personal violence can arrange a priority appointment by contacting the Counsellor (Violence Response and Prevention). Call 5552 9600 between 8.30 am to 4.30 pm Monday to Friday or email to arrange a priority appointment.  Alternatively, click here to request to be contacted by the Violence Response and Prevention Counsellor.

Accommodation residents

Residents at both the Brisbane colleges and Gold Coast village can access priority appointments through the Counsellor, Violence Response and Prevention. In addition, residents can access on-site counselling services and targeted appointments on Mondays at the Gold Coast and Fridays at Nathan, as well as access the Counselling and Wellbeing Service at Nathan, Mount Gravatt and  & GC on the other days.

Crisis Support

Students can access immediate and crisis support 24/7 via the Griffith University Mental Wellbeing Support Line.  Phone 1300 785 442 or text 0488 884 146 for support, 24 hours/7 days.

Staff can access crisis support and specialised domestic and family violence support via the Staff Counselling Program.

We provide a range of on-campus medical and ancillary services for Griffith students and staff, services include:

  • GP clinics at the Gold Coast and Nathan campuses
  • emergency and first aid treatment
  • sexual health advice including testing and treatments
  • mental health consultations with a nurse, psychologist or psychiatrist

You can make a non-urgent appointment with Griffith health and medical services online. In case of a medical emergency, call 000 (112 from mobile phones) and ask for Ambulance.

There are many avenues to disclose an incident at Griffith.  In the first instance, you may choose to provide a verbal account of the incident to a staff member, student or other entity such as your student organisation, a SASH Responder or the Counsellor, Violence Response and Prevention in order to gain information about the support and reporting options available.

Informal reports (disclosures) of sexual assault, harassment, bullying or discrimination are to inform the University of incidents and risks and can be lodged online or with the Registrar ( by a victim/survivor, a bystander or with consent, by another person that they have chosen to disclose to.  Unlike a formal concern, the lodgement of an informal disclosure will not result in an investigation or action against the alleged perpetrator.

Informal disclosures can be anonymous or identified.

Informal disclosures lodged via the Academic Registrar or via the online form and may also be issued with a unique ID should you chose to lodge a formal concern at another time.

You can find out more about the process of lodging an informal disclosure under 'Reporting' on the FAQs page.

If you wish to take action against an alleged perpetrator, you can lodge a formal concern to the University. A formal concern can be lodged at any time following an incident and while the alleged perpetrator remains a student or staff member of the University.

When lodging a formal concern, you will be asked to provide as much information as possible about the incident, including:

  • specific details of the incident (what, when, where and any relevant background information);
  • actions they have taken to resolve the issue (if appropriate);
  • contact the individual has had with the student who is the subject of the concern;
  • contact the individual has had with University staff regarding the incident and any outcomes;
  • whether they want the University to investigate the issue with the alleged perpetrator, bearing in mind procedural fairness considerations (the perpetrator will be given the opportunity to defend and respond to the allegation); and
  • outcome/s sought as a result of the concern.

Formal concerns relating to student behaviour can be lodged via the online form, or directed to the Registrar's office via email

You can find out more about the process of lodging a formal concern under 'Reporting' on the FAQs page


The Mental Wellbeing Support line can provide immediate assistance for students who are unable to access a same-day appointment with a Counsellor, Pastoral Care Assistant or Mental Health Nurse, or who require assistance after hours.

In an emergency, please call 000.

Disclosing and reporting to external organisations

National and Statewide services

1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732) is a confidential information, counselling and support service.  Open 24 hours, the service supports people impacted by sexual assault, domestic or family violence and abuse

DV Connect provides a statewide sexual assault helpline (1800 010 120). The helpline offers telephone support and counselling to anyone – women, men and young people – who has been sexually assaulted or abused and for anyone who is concerned or suspects someone they care about might have been assaulted or abused.

Kids Helpline (1800 551 800) is a private and confidential, telephone and online counselling service specifically for young people aged between 5 and 25. Anytime. Any reason.

Lifeline (13 11 14) provides 24/7 crisis support and suicide prevention services. Information about the Griffith Crisis Support service (after hours, weekends and public holidays) is available below.

Sexual Assault Services in Queensland

A number of local services are available across Queensland to assist and support individuals who have been sexually assaulted recently, or in the past.

Queensland Government Domestic & Family Violence portal

Sexual abuse and violence can occur within relationships. The Queensland Government provides information, services and support for people impacted by domestic and family violence.

Many survivors have reasons for not wanting to officially report a sexual assault or rape to police.

The Queensland Police Service Alternative Reporting Options (ARO) provides survivors of sexual assault with an option to disclose the details of their assault anonymously via an online or paper based form.

During the ARO process, survivors are asked to disclose as much detail as possible about their assault.  Police can use this information to assist other prosecutions against an offender and protect the community using intelligence gathered to target an offender and reduce repeat offending.

Survivors can opt to have a police officer contact you to discuss your situation.

You can submit a complaint to the Queensland Police service at any time.  This will involve providing details of what happened during your assault, and requesting that the police investigate the matter.  Once a complaint has been received, police will commence an investigation.

If you have just been sexually assaulted or raped, and are in immediate danger, call 000 (or 112 from mobile phones) and ask for police.  Police recommend that you do not wash or bathe yourself, do not wash or destroy the clothing you were wearing during the assault and do not disturb the physical environment where the assault occurred.

If you are ready to report an assault or rape that happened in the past, you can contact your local Police Station.

Further information about the role of police is available on the Queensland Police Service website.

In cases of bullying, harassment and discrimination, you may choose to refer your concern to an external body such as the Anti-Discrimination Commission Queensland, the Australian Human Rights Commission or the Queensland Ombudsman.

How to respond to a disclosure

Share your feedback

Have thoughts on Safe Campuses you'd like to share? We want to hear from you.