Types of projects

Externally funded projects can fall into one of a number of different categories and at Griffith they are managed by separate areas across the University. This can be confusing and so we have provided some information below which will hopefully guide you in the right direction in the first instance.

The Research Grants team in the Office for Research manages all HERDC eligible, competitive research grants funded by State Governments, Australian Government, international funding bodies and charities. The schemes are usually open to all Australian Universities and often other eligible organisations. Salaries for Chief Investigators are not normally able to be paid for out of the grant, although are often counted as in-kind support. Intellectual property rights over grant outputs will usually remain with Griffith or be jointly owned with other participating organisations.

Overheads should be charged on all competitive research grants unless the grant guidelines expressly prohibit this.

Click here to find out if your project is HERDC eligible.

Griffith Enterprise manages all consultancy and commercial research (CCR) for the University. CCR may result when government or an industry organisation requests for a specific project to be undertaken (i.e tender or expression of interest); or when you have approached and submitted a proposal to an organisation. Differing from Competitive Grants, personnel costs (researchers' time) are usually "charged out" to the external organisation in a CCR project.  Griffith has recommended charge out rates for CCR that cover covers salary, on-costs (HR costs) and overheads (infrastructure costs) for each level of the academic scale.   Non-personnel costs such as travel, subcontractors fees, equipment, etc are also charged to the external organisation.

CCR's are governed by Griffith's Consultancy and Commercial Research Policy.

Griffith's Advancement Office manage donations given to the University for non-specific purposes, as well as grants from trusts and foundations that do not have a formal application process.

Griffith International's International Business Development Unit manages international projects in developing countries.

Community grants that do not have a research component are managed by the academic's School or Centre. Contracts can be sent to Legal Services for review before signing by the relevant Head of Element.

Got a contract for research activities that are not related to a Research Grant or CCR project? (eg Collaboration Agreements for unfunded projects, data access agreements, student placement agreements etc) These agreements are to be managed at your School or Centre and signed by your Head of Element. If your Head of Element  has any concerns about the agreement you can request legal advice from Griffith Legal Services.