The Office for Research can help you apply for a range of competitive research grant funding opportunities.
Follow these guidelines to ensure you’ve included all required information and submit a competitive application.
1. Advise the Office for Research
Let the Office for Research know, as early as possible, that you will be preparing a research grant application. Office for Research staff can generally provide support during the application process.
2. Check the internal closing date
3. Read all documentation
Ensure you’ve read all of the funder’s scheme documentation to ensure you’re eligible and your project aligns with the scheme.
4. Understand the submission process
Sometimes a funder will require hard copies to be submitted, for the application to be submitted through an online portal or for delegates from the University to sign the application to approve submission. Understanding the requirements well in advance is important to planning the submission.
5. Answer all questions, provide all required documentation and format correctly
Ensure you comply with the funder’s instructions regarding format and length of the application, address all fields and provide all necessary attachments.
6. Prepare budget information
Use the budget tools on our grants application resources page as a guide.
7. Obtain ethics approval
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to determine whether your application requires ethical clearance.
8. Complete a Research Grant Application Coversheet
Please complete an online Research Grants Application Coversheet in RIMS. Once fully approved, it will be recorded as a research record in our database.
9. Submit by the due date
All applications must be received in the Office for Research by the advertised internal deadline in the grants calendar. If the scheme is not listed in the grants calendar, please work with the following timeframes:
- For all ARC and NHMRC schemes, there is generally an EOI process for these schemes and applicants are known well in advance. Please submit applications by the internal deadlines advertised in the research grants calendar.
- For all overseas-based funders, please submit your application to the Office for Research one month before the scheme closing date.
- For all other schemes, please submit two weeks before the scheme closing date.