The Vice Chancellor and President is the Chief Executive Officer of the University and is responsible to the Council of the University
In his capacity as Vice Chancellor, Professor Ian O'Connor is responsible for:
- articulating a clear strategic direction for the University;
- providing academic and administrative leadership;
- maintaining a focus on quality;
- engendering a collegial community amongst staff and students;
- fostering effective relationships with stakeholders; and
- ensuring sound financial management and stewardship of resources.
The Vice Chancellor also has a number of statutory responsibilities and accountabilities outlined in the Griffith University Act 1998 and other relevant state and commonwealth legislation and is involved in the following associations.
The Vice Chancellor is a member of Universities Australia the forum of the chief executive officers of Australia's universities. Universities Australia promotes the needs, interests and purpose of Australian universities and develops policy positions and guidelines on higher education matters.
Alongside the vice chancellors of the other six member institutions of Innovative Research Universities, the Vice Chancellor is heavily involved in the work of this national alliance of research-based universities each of which has comprehensive disciplinary coverage and a strong commitment to innovation and an inter-disciplinary focus.
Reports to University Council
The Vice Chancellor's reports for the past 5 years
Honouring Remarkable Griffith People
Honouring remarkable people for success in their respective fields
Ian O'Connor AC
Vice Chancellor and President
Senior Deputy Vice Chancellor
Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academic)
Deputy Vice Chancellor (Engagement)
Vice President (Corporate Services)
Pro Vice Chancellor (Arts, Education and Law)
Pro Vice Chancellor (Business)
Pro Vice Chancellor (Health)
Andrew T Smith
Pro Vice Chancellor (Sciences)
Vice President (Global)
Pro Vice Chancellor
Lesley Chenoweth AO
Pro Vice Chancellor and Head, Logan campus
Former Vice Chancellors
Griffith owes much of its success to the outstanding leadership of its former Vice Chancellors
The Strategic Plan gives expression to the Griffith 2020 agenda and to the vision to further develop Griffith as a university of influence.
- Strategic plans for the core businesses of the University are available through the Plans and publications page
- Operational and implementation plans and reports are available to Griffith users only via the Staff portal