The Griffith Sports Excellence Scholarships enable gifted sportsmen and sportswomen who have the potential to perform at a sound academic level at a tertiary institution, to gain a higher qualification without forfeiting their sporting opportunities. The scholarship is available to both commencing and continuing students (continuing is defined as students currently enrolled at Griffith University).
Griffith Sports Excellence Full Scholarship valued at a maximum of $28,000
Griffith Sports Excellence Development Scholarship valued at $5,000
Applications close: Sunday 30 June 2019
Can I apply?
To be eligible you must be:
- an Australian Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident, or Permanent Humanitarian Visa Holder
- either eligible for admission to any of Griffith University's undergraduate or postgraduate (by coursework) programs in 2019 or be currently enrolled in any Griffith University's undergraduate or postgraduate (by coursework) program
- be competing at an elite level in your chosen sport (international or national). Your chosen sport must meet with the Australian Sports Commission definition of 'sport', Australian Sports Commission Website.
For detailed eligibility please see the Sports Excellence Policy.
What do I include in my application?
To be considered for this scholarship you must complete the following sections within the application:
- tertiary education history and/or secondary education history (commencing students)
- program (continuing students).
- sports participation
- referee details: a report from your sports coach
- Personal statements
- career goals and aims
- experiences: outline your sporting achievements either in this section or attach a document as below.
You must upload the following in the supporting documentation section. (Please use only the following formats: pdf, Word, jpeg or Excel. We can only guarantee these formats will be accepted)
- Other:please upload a comprehensive date-ordered list (showing 2018 first in the list and going backwards, that is, 2018, 2017, 2016) of your sporting achievements, including times and placing/ranking.
- You can choose to add copies of your most outstanding sporting certificates/awards/copies of media articles that make you stand out in your chosen sport.
The Griffith Sports Excellence full scholarship has a maximum value of $28,000, payable in instalments. Payments of $3,500 are payable for each full-time enrolled trimester up to the maximum value of the scholarship (pro-rata payments for part-time enrolment).
There are a number of Griffith Development Sports Excellence Scholarships available with a maximum value of $5,000, payable in instalments. Payments of $2,500 are payable for each full-time enrolled trimester up to the maximum value of the scholarship (pro-rata payments for part-time enrolment).
Payments are made up to six weeks after the census date subject to maintaining ongoing eligibility requirements.
Griffith is an elite athlete friendly university and has a strong commitment to sport and the role that is plays in a balanced educational environment. Fostering elite athletes and helping them to participate in sport while studying is a major part of that commitment. Griffith has many links with local and international sporting organisations. Griffith University, through the Griffith Sports College, assists elite athletes in sourcing flexible study means to enable them to continue performing at optimum level while studying.
To continue to receive these scholarships you must:
- continue to meet the eligibility requirements
- maintain good academic standing (GPA 3.5)
- remain enrolled at Griffith University
- submit sporting performance report on a trimester basis.
Applications, including referee reports and any supporting documentation, must be completed and submitted by the closing date.
Offers are made via email.
Applicants may be shortlisted and be required to provide additional information.