Our Human Research Ethics Committee (HREC) was established in accordance with the National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Human Research. Key functions of the committee include:
- developing guidelines that satisfy ethical standards articulated in the current edition of the National Statement
- advising on appropriate policy settings and ethical review processes
- examining proposed research activities
- establishing panels for the conduct of ethical reviews
- facilitating and supporting a culture of excellent research
- providing advice on potential breaches of research ethics arrangements or regulations, codes and guidelines.
Ethical review considerations
The Human Research Ethics Committee considers expedited reviews (E1 and E2) and full reviews (FR).
E1 and E2 applications
Applications for E1 and E2 expedited reviews can be made at any time. E1 reviews generally take up to 10 days to process from submission. E2 reviews take around two to three weeks from submission.
For full reviews (FR), applications are due 12 working days before committee meeting dates. Generally the outcome of a meeting will be communicated to applicants within five to 10 days.
2017 Human Research Ethics Committee meeting and submission dates
Meetings only proceed if required.
|FR submission date||Meeting date||Campus||Preferred venue|
|20 January||7 February||Nathan / Gold Coast||N54_2.06 / G34_1.04|
|17 February||7 March||Nathan / Gold Coast||N54_2.06 / G34_1.04|
|17 March||4 April||Nathan / Gold Coast||N54_2.01 / G27_1.11|
|21 April||9 May||Nathan / Gold Coast||N54_2.06 / G40_8.29|
|19 May||6 June||Nathan / Gold Coast||N54_2.01 / G27_1.11|
|14 July||1 August||Nathan / Gold Coast||N54_2.01 / G27_1.11|
|18 August||5 September||Nathan / Gold Coast||N54_2.01 / G27_1.11|
|15 September||3 October||Nathan / Gold Coast||N54_2.01 / G27_1.11|
|20 October||7 November||Nathan / Gold Coast||N54_2.06 / G40_8.29|
|17 November||5 December||Nathan / Gold Coast||N54_2.01 / G27_1.11|