Creating global change through world-class research
The Law Futures Centre was established in 2015 to produce outstanding scholarship—often interdisciplinary—that anticipates, innovates and meets pressing emerging challenges for law and legal institutions in Australia and internationally.
We bring together researchers from law, environmental sciences, international relations, business, health, criminology and humanities, to harness law as a key melioristic tool for shaping a better, more just future.
Our members are committed to outstanding collaborative research that is responsible for global change. We compete successfully for significant external research grants and have received significant funding for cutting-edge research, including from the Australian Research Council, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, and the Open Society. Our members include Australian Research Council Future Fellows, Fulbright Scholars and Australian Development Research Award holders.
Discover more about our strategic approaches, innovation and collaboration across our four key research areas:
- Law, Governance and Global Change
- Law and Nature
- Law, Risk and Innovation
- Lawyering, Legal Education and Law's Future.
Our board is comprised of senior researchers from renowned research institutes and esteemed professionals within the legal profession, offering enhanced research collaboration opportunities.
- Mr Greg Vickery AO (Chair) - Norton Rose Fulbright; former Chair of the Standing Commission of Red Cross and Red Crescent
- Justice Patrick Keane - High Court of Australia
- Professor Hilary Charlesworth - Melbourne University, ARC Laureate Fellow; past Director of RegNet and Centre for International and Public Law at the ANU, Judge ad hoc of the International Court of Justice
- Mr David Solomon AM - Former Queensland Integrity Commissioner
- Professor Adrienne Stone - Melbourne University, ARC Kathleen Fitzpatrick Laureate Fellow; Director, Centre for Comparative Constitutional Studies
- Mr John Briton - Former Queensland Legal Services Commissioner
- Mr Mark Baker-Jones - CDP Waste2Energy Holdings Pty Ltd
- Justice Berna Collier - Federal Court of Australia