Showcase a passion for STEM and provide a valuable experience for your students.
The 34th annual Gold Coast Schools Science Competition aims to raise the profile of STEM in our community and encourages students to demonstrate their STEM abilities by entering a project into one of six categories. The competition is the largest of its type in Queensland and the competition is fierce with over 400 entries received in 2019.
Please hold these dates for now. We will advise whether we are able to proceed with the event components (ie. entry drop-off, entry judging and Awards ceremony) in their traditional or revised format should COVID-19 restrictions be lifted at a later date.
- Showcase a passion for STEM and provide a valuable science experience to students
- Students get to pursue an independent project of their choice
- Provides an opportunity for students to showcase their high-quality work to an audience greater than their classroom
- An opportunity to provide recognition to quality student work
- Serve as a challenging, extra-curricular assignment that allows students to investigate a scientific problem that interests them
- Great for teachers to see their students do well beyond the classroom
- Creates a competitive spirit among students to strive for continual improvement.
- NEW category - Mission to the Lunar South Pole (Year 7-10 only)
Registrations open 13 July 2020
Categories for the 2020 competition include:
- Scientific Investigations
- Engineering & Technology Projects
- Classified Collections
- Communicating Science
- Environmental Action Project
- Mission to the Lunar South Pole (Year 7-10 only)
Registration is open within the following divisions:
- Years 1 and 2
- Years 3 and 4
- Years 5 and 6
- Years 7 and 8
- Year 9 and 10
- The senior year levels division will be omitted this year.
- Each entry must include a statement from teacher confirming the entry is 100% the student's work.
- Schools registering entries are to supply at least one judge for the judging process. (TBA)
- $5.00 per entry - An invoice will be sent to schools once the competition has completed.
More information will be available soon.
Gold Coast Schools Science Competition - Lunar Mission Introduction
Find out about the Lunar Mission!
Professor Paulo de Souza introduces the Mission to the south pole of the Moon!!
The Gold Coast Schools Science Competition
Check out the video for an overview of the fantastic competition entries at the Science competition!