Applying for a research degree or scholarship
New research students
If you are not currently a Griffith University research student, and you wish to apply for admission to a higher degree by research at Griffith, you should complete the following steps:
- Check the entry requirements to find out if you are academically qualified to apply for a higher degree by research.
- Identify available research areas and supervisors at Griffith University.
- If you have obtained agreement from an academic to supervise your proposed research and your academic qualifications meet the entry criteria for admission to your nominated research degree, you should complete an online application.
- Download and arrange for two Academic Referee Reports to be completed.
For further assistance in applying
- Higher Degree Research Admission and Scholarship Application Guidelines (PDF 504k)
- Check the Research Scholarships website (for dates, and scholarship details and more)
- Refer to the approval and application process and procedures for assistance.
Program specific application information
Doctor of Philosophy in Clinical Psychology
Applicants for the Doctor of Philosophy in Clinical Psychology should complete the Clinical Psychology Referee Report in place of the Academic Referee Report.
PhD by Publication applicants
Applicants wishing to apply for a PhD by Publication, should complete the PhD by Publication specific application form and submit it to the Higher Degree Research Student Centre.
Doctor of Education Applicants
For applicants seeking admission to the Doctor of Education, a portfolio assessment and/or interview will be required as part of the admission process. Applicants who do not hold a recognised bachelors degree with a suitable class of research honours should attach a completed professional portfolio along with any other required supporting documentation, as part of their online documentation.
Current research students
If you are already completing a higher degree by research at Griffith University, and you wish to apply for a research scholarship at Griffith, you should submit the following:
For students within the first 12 months (equivalent full-time) of candidature
- a continuing student scholarship application form (PDF 100k) (including a referee report from your current supervisor)
- a covering letter
- updated research outline and completion plan
- copies of publications (where applicable)
International Applicants and Recruitment Agents
Please note: If you are an international applicant applying though an agent, Griffith University will only accept Applications for Admission from an official Griffith Recruitment agent. The agents in this list have contracts with Griffith and will offer professional and reliable advice to applicants about studying at Griffith.
Griffith University does not accept applications from any agent who is not currently an approved registered agent with the University.