What to consider if you are bringing your family to Australia

If you are planning to bring your family with you to Australia, you will need to make appropriate arrangements for visas, health insurance, child care and schooling. You will also need to ensure you will have access to the necessary funds to support your family financially.


Many students find that living with their family in Australia can be expensive. Expenses to consider include:

  • airfare
  • school fees and educational cost
  • child care fees
  • higher rent
  • transport
  • medical insurance
  • clothing
  • other necessities.

Cost of studying


Your spouse and children will have to adjust to life in Australia, just as you have. Some of the challenges they may face include:

  • missing the usual support from relatives and friends
  • not being confident with their English
  • adjusting to a new school and making friends.

While studying full-time, you may also find that you are not able to help or spend as much time with your partner or children as you used to.

Visa requirements

Find out about family visas at the Department of Immigration and Border Protection


In Queensland, children of compulsory school age must attend school. Compulsory school age starts at six years and six months of age (Year 1) and continues until the completion of Year 10. Children who have turned five by 30 June of that year may be enrolled in Prep if their parents choose.

Education Queensland International

Griffith University childcare

Griffith University offers day care for children three months to five years of age

Childcare options

Childcare in Australia is in high demand and can be costly, so you may have to contact a range of different providers until you find one that suits your needs and budget. For a comprehensive list of child care centres in Queensland, visit Care for Kids.

Please be aware that even though it is not a legal requirement for children who attend child care to be fully immunised, some childcare centres may not accept children who are not fully vaccinated. Please ensure you bring all relevant immunisation documents for your child with you when you come to Australia.

If your child is not fully immunised, the Brisbane, Gold Coast and Logan City Councils provide a free immunisation service for children. For clinic times and locations, visit the applicable council website and search for "immunisation".

Changing your health insurance

Most international students are offered single health insurance cover in their offer letter. However, if you wish to purchase family cover you may indicate this before, or when you accept your offer.

Family joining you after you arrive in Australia

If your family (i.e. spouse and dependent children under 18 years of age) join you after you arrive in Australia, they will need to have Overseas Student Health Cover cover also for the duration of their visa. If you have a single OSHC policy and you have a child born in Australia, you will need to change to a family policy before the birth of your child.

Health insurance

Becoming pregnant in Australia

If you become pregnant in Australia, firstly notify your OSHC provider as you will need to upgrade to a family policy. Children born in Australia are only Australian citizens if at least one parent was an Australian citizen or permanent resident at the time of their birth.

As having a child will impact on your ability to complete your studies, you may need to extend your visa and change your Confirmation of Enrolment. Contact an International Student Advisor as soon as possible so they can assist you in making appropriate arrangements.

Contact us

Do you have a question? Get in touch with us