Get more out of your university experience
This two-year program gives selected GBS students from the Nathan, Logan and Gold Coast campuses the opportunity to participate in a variety of leadership development and mentoring activities; participate in University and alumni events; and represent the School at major events. You'll gain real-world professional experience and improve your confidence.
The Griffith Business School Student Leadership Program offers:
- exclusive leadership development activities including a fun and challenging two-day Leadership Development Camp *(some events that have been run in the past may be changed to to University Policies and COVID restrictions)
- peer mentoring and volunteering experience
- participation in School and University recruitment and promotion
- invitations to high-profile University events
- possible international travel **(some events that have been run in the past may be changed to to University Policies and COVID restrictions)
- formal recognition of your contributions
Who can apply?
This exclusive opportunity is only available to 60 students each year. To be eligible for our next GBSSLP intake, you must:
- Be enrolled in a Bachelors degree offered by (or partially offered by) Griffith Business School.*
- Have successfully completed at least two GBS courses (20CP) at the end of the trimester in which you are applying.**
- Intend to continue studying a GBS degree for at least another 24 months from the start of Trimester 1, 2021. Your final trimester in the Leadership program will be Trimester 2, 2022
- Have and maintain a minimum Grade Point Average of 4.25.
- Demonstrate excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Possess excellent time management and organisational skills.
- Be prepared to volunteer time towards the Program’s required activities (includes 30 hours towards University Service plus 30 hours towards Community Engagement).
- Apply by the deadline advertised.
*Includes double degrees. Student must be intending to study on-campus for at least 1 course - unfortunately we can't offer this program to fully online students.
**if you have just commenced at Griffith in Trimester 2, you can still apply! By the end of the recruitment period, you will have finished the Trimester.
Applications Open: Tuesday 14 July, 2020
Applications Close: Friday 4 September 2020, 4.00pm AEST
Applications reviewed by panel: Week 8–9, Trimester 2, 2020
Interviews will be held: Week 10–12, Trimester 2 and 26–30 October, 2020
The ‘small print’
If selected as a Student Leader, we’ll ask you to fulfil the following obligations during the GBSSLP:
- Attend a compulsory Induction Day (full day, February 2021)
- Attend Leadership Development Camp (two days, March 2021)*
- Attend catch-up meetings (twice per Trimester)
- Complete 30 hours of University Service (promotional and / or recruitment activities for the School or the University)**
- Complete 30 hours of Community Engagement (any activities external to the University)**
- Attend and actively participate in at least four GBS events / activities per year including (but not limited to) Orientation, Open Day, GriffithBUSINESS School Outreach Program, and Leadership Day—these events count towards University Service hours
- Promote forthcoming GBS events (public speaking / in-lecture promotions)—this promotion counts towards University Service hours
- Be an outstanding Ambassador for Griffith Business School
Student Leaders who fail to meet these requirements may be removed from the Program after a thorough review by the Student Engagement Team.
* Some activities may be changed due to COVID restrictions, University Policies or unable to be held off campus
** Service hours must be recorded and signed off by a Griffith staff member, or community representative.
What's involved: Year 2
In the second year, you’ll take on more leadership duties such as mentoring new Student Leaders, expanding community engagement, and participating in seminars with an industry / graduate careers focus. You may also have the chance to go on an International Community Exchange.
By the end of your second year you will have finished your required service hours in time to be awarded a certificate at the GBSSLP Awards Evening.
The GBS Student Leadership Program has been the highlight of my time at university so far! I’ve made so many wonderful like-minded friends and have had the chance to partake in such amazing opportunities. It’s wonderful to be a part of such a friendly and tight-knit program, and highly recommend it!
Shanayah Sharif | Current Student Leader
The student leadership program brought me out of my shell and allowed me to make friends, build industry connections, travel, and grow as a person. GBSSLP made my uni experience amazing and I couldn’t recommend it more!
Azaria Bell | Student Leader Alumnus
International community engagement
Griffith Business School is committed to developing globally responsible leaders. As part of the GBS Student Leadership Program, student leaders are offered the unique opportunity to participate in an overseas experience, meeting and working with local communities. The international community engagement project allows students to immerse themselves in a cultural exchange and gain a deeper knowledge and understanding of their role in the global community.
As part of the international community engagement project beginning in 2013, students have travelled to Laos, Borneo, Nepal and India.