Get more out of your university experience
This two-year program gives selected GBS students from the Nathan and Gold Coast campuses the opportunity to participate in a variety of leadership development and mentoring activities (including a two-day Leadership Development Camp); participate in University and alumni events; and represent the School at major events. You'll gain real-world professional experience and improve your confidence.
The Griffith Business School Student Leadership Program offers:
- exclusive leadership development activities including a fun and challenging two-day Leadership Development Camp
- peer mentoring and volunteering experience
- participation in School and University recruitment and promotion
- invitations to high-profile University events
- formal recognition of your contributions
Applications for the 2019–2020 program are now closed
Applications for the 2020–2021 Program will open in August 2019
What's involved: Year 2
In the second year, you’ll take on more leadership duties such as mentoring new Student Leaders, expanding community engagement, and participating in seminars with an industry / graduate careers focus. You may also have the chance to go on an International Community Exchange.
By the end of your second year you will have finished your required service hours in time to be awarded a certificate at the GBSSLP Awards Evening.
I didn’t know it was possible to feel so at home with people you’ve never met. The leadership program didn’t only provide me with incredible opportunities, valuable connections and personal development; it gave me memories and friends for life. It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity, TAKE IT!
Emelie Meisner | Current Student Leader
The leadership program offers you all of the extracurricula activities that are important for your personal and professional growth, in the one place! It streamlines your progression through university, and introduces you to opportunities for your future career. Most importantly, though, it sets you up with life long friends, and makes your time at uni memorable for all of the rights reasons.
Rachel Perkins | Former Student Leader
International community engagement
Griffith Business School is committed to developing globally responsible leaders. As part of the GBS Student Leadership Program, student leaders are offered the unique opportunity to participate in an overseas experience, meeting and working with local communities. The international community engagement project allows students to immerse themselves in a cultural exchange and gain a deeper knowledge and understanding of their role in the global community.
As part of the international community engagement project beginning in 2013, students have travelled to Laos, Borneo, Nepal and India.
Who can apply?
This exclusive opportunity is only available to 50 students each year. To be eligible for our next GBSSLP, you must:
- Be enrolled in a Bachelors degree offered by (or partially offered by) Griffith Business School.*
- Have successfully completed at least four GBS courses (40CP) at the end of the trimester in which you are applying.
- Intend to continue studying a GBS degree for at least another 24 months from the start of Trimester 1, 2019.
- Have and maintain a minimum Grade Point Average of 4.25.
- Demonstrate excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Possess excellent time management and organisational skills.
- Be prepared to volunteer time towards the Program’s required activities (includes 30 hours towards University Service plus 30 hours towards Community Engagement).
- Apply by the deadline advertised.
*Includes double degrees.
The ‘small print’
If selected as a Student Leader, we’ll ask you to fulfil the following obligations during the GBSSLP:
- Attend an Induction Day (full day, February)
- Attend Leadership Development Camp (two days, March)
- Attend catch-up meetings (twice per Trimester)
- Complete 30 hours of University Service (promotional and / or recruitment activities for the School or the University)*
- Complete 30 hours of Community Engagement (any activities external to the University)*
- Attend and actively participate in at least four GBS events / activities per year including (but not limited to) Orientation, Open Day, GriffithBUSINESS School Outreach Program, and Leadership Day—these events count towards University Service hours
- Promote forthcoming GBS events (public speaking / in-lecture promotions)—this promotion counts towards University Service hours
- Engage with the School’s social media channels
Student Leaders who fail to meet these requirements may be removed from the Program after a thorough review by the Student Engagement Team.
* Service hours must be recorded and signed off by a Griffith staff member, or community representative.