Understand how to apply and meet your visa conditions

As an international student, you are required to hold a valid Australian visa for the duration of your study in Australia.

How to apply

Visit the website or your local Australian Government overseas office to find out the requirements and application process for student visas.

Department of Home Affairs

When to apply

You can apply for your student visa as soon as you receive your Confirmation of Enrolment for a full-time course at Griffith University.

Before you apply

Before applying for a student visa, it is important you fully understand the type of visa you are applying for and the conditions of the visa.

Applying for a visa

You can apply online using the Australian Government’s visa application system


When you apply for a student visa, you must provide evidence that:

  • your primary purpose in coming to Australia is to study
  • you satisfy the visa's English requirements
  • you accept responsibility for obtaining your visa and meeting the conditions
  • you have genuine access to sufficient funds to cover your tuition costs, overseas student health insurance, return airfares and living expenses for yourself and any dependents.

Document checklist

Use the Australian Government's document checklists to help you complete your application.

Please note, visa applicants may also require a health check and/or a finance assessment.

Bringing your family

If you wish to bring your family with you to Australia, it is important you understand how to apply for family members to join you.

Check your visa conditions

Check your visa status and requirements regularly to ensure you do not breach any visa conditions.

Understand your visa conditions

It is your responsibility to be aware of your visa conditions so they are not breached.

Keep your Australian address up-to-date

Before you arrive at Griffith you must login to myGriffith and add your Australian address in the 'My Details' section. If you change your Australian address, you must update your information in myGriffith within seven days.


Undergraduate and postgraduate students

The conditions of your student visa include maintaining an enrolment load that enables you to finish your studies within the standard duration of your program and visa. This information is noted on your Confirmation of Enrolment.

  • You are required to complete a minimum of 40 credit points in both Trimester 1 and Trimester 2.
  • There are no minimum credit point requirements for Trimester 3 unless you start study in this trimester, in which case the minimum load is 40 credit points.
  • You can study a maximum of 33% of your courses online and are required to complete at least one on-campus blended course in Trimesters 1 and 2.

Research students

All postgraduate research students are granted a further six months on top of the normal visa expiry date. This will allow you the flexibility to remain in Australia while your thesis is being marked. You will need to make sure you have Overseas Student Health Cover for the duration of your student visa including the additional six-month period.

Griffith English Language Institute students

You must attend at least 80% of your English language classes at Griffith English Language Institute. If you do not, your student visa may be cancelled or not renewed.

Working while studying

As an international student, you can work up to 40 hours per fortnight, subject to visa restrictions.


If you are under 18

If you are under 18 years of age, you must maintain accommodation, support and general welfare arrangements that have been approved by Griffith University, unless you are staying in Australia with a Department of Home Affairs-approved relative. You must not change those arrangements without the approval of Griffith University. Visit the Accommodation website for approved options.


Australia's Simplified Student Visa Framework has been designed to make the process of applying for a student visa simpler for genuine international students and means the majority of Griffith applicants are eligible for streamlined evidentiary requirements depending on their country of origin.

The Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement ensures that only genuine applicants are accepted to study at Griffith University.

Please note, the framework does not mean you will automatically be granted a student visa. The Department of Home Affairs may still refuse your application if they are not satisfied that you are a genuine student or if you do not meet health and character requirements.

Rights and responsibilities

The Education Services for Overseas Students legislation and National Code describe the rights and responsibilities of an international student and international education providers.

Education Services for Overseas Students

All Griffith University courses available to international students are registered with the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS). In order for an international student to study programs with an Australian education provider, the provider must have a CRICOS provider number. Our Griffith provider number is 00233E.You can find our individual program codes on the international students tab in the Degree Finder website.

To view a complete list of Griffith University programs with a CRICOS code, visit the CRICOS website. You can also perform an institution search using our CRICOS institution code 00233E, where you can view all the registered programs or select a particular program. Each program provides detailed information about how the program is registered, the length, fees and whether there is a work-integrated learning component. This may assist you in making an informed decision as to which program you would like to study at Griffith University.

Contact us

Do you have a question? Get in touch with us