What does Study Abroad and Exchange cost?

The cost of living in South East Queensland, where our campuses are located, is considered more affordable than other major Australian cities such as Sydney and Melbourne.

Calculating your total cost of study will include:

  • Study Abroad and Exchange tuition fees
  • Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
  • visa application costs
  • flights
  • accommodation
  • cost of living
  • other personal and study-related expenses

Tuition fees

Study Abroad Program

The study abroad tuition fee for undergraduate and postgraduate students depends on your credit point ( CP ) enrolment load.

2021 fees

At Griffith, a typical full-time study load is 30 to 40 credit points (CP).  One course (subject) is usually worth 10CP.  You can choose from the following options per trimester:

Enrolment load Fee per trimester
10 CP - Generally 1 course
(eligible for offshore students only or for those on-shore students not studying under a student visa, but a valid visa which includes study entitlements)
$2,534 AUD
20 CP - Generally 2 courses
(eligible for offshore students only or for those on-shore students not studying under a student visa, but a valid visa which includes study entitlements)
$5,068 AUD
30 CP - Generally 3 Courses $9,130 AUD
40 CP - Generally 4 Courses$10,135 AUD
50 CP - Generally 5 Courses$10,135 AUD

*10/20CP Enrolment load can only be undertaken by students who are studying offshore.
For onshore students, you must enrol in a minimum of 30CP to comply with student visa requirements. This is not required if you are in Australia on an alternative visa which includes study entitlements. If you hold a student visa, you can only study online for one third of your total program. This means that if you are enrolled in 30 credit points (cp), you can only complete one 10cp course via online study.

Exchange Program

Exchange students are not required to pay tuition fees to Griffith University. Any tuition fees are paid to your home university.

Overseas Student Health Cover

As a requirement of the student visa, you must have Overseas Student Health Cover for the duration of your student visa. OSHC is health insurance that meets student visa health cover requirements and helps you pay for medical and hospital services while you’re studying in Australia.

Griffith will automatically arrange your OSHC through our preferred provider, Allianz Global Assistance, however, if you wish to have alternative cover not offered by Allianz Global Assistance you must select an approved insurer and provide evidence of purchase and duration of cover when you accept your offer and pay your fees.

1 Trimester (6-months cover) $330 AUD
2 Trimesters (11-months cover) $516 - $771 AUD

Please note: Fees are subject to change. Fees may also vary for GELI students depending on English program duration.

Exceptions include:

  • Norwegian residents are generally exempt from OSHC under a mutual government agreement
  • Swedish residents are generally exempt from OSHC by providing Kammarkollegiet
  • Students applying for a Working Holiday Visa are not eligible for OSHC and are responsible for getting their own health insurance

Please note: OSHC is not travel insurance. It is highly recommended you purchase travel insurance in addition to OSHC .


Whether you would like to live on-campus or off-campus, there are a number of options you can explore to find housing to suit your needs and budget.

See accommodation options

Cost of living

In addition to study fees, you will also need to budget for accommodation, transport, parking and other living expenses such as groceries, entertainment and clothing.

Financial aid

Our Financial Aid Office provides advice on eligibility and assists you with applying for student loan programs offered by your home country.

Have a question?

Learn everything you need to know about tuition and fees