The Nellie Thomas Bursary was founded in 2008 in memory of Nellie Bertha (McDowell) Baker and Thomas McDowell. The aim of the Bursary is to assist an Indigenous student studying in the field of Medicine in the School of Medicine with additional cost associated with studying at University. The Bursary is aimed at applicants who can demonstrate financial disadvantage.
There is one Bursary available to the value of $2,000 paid as a lump sum.
Apply by: 12pm Friday 26 February 2021
The Nellie Thomas Bursary
Can I apply?
To be eligible you must:
- be an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident
- be Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander
- be accepted into or enrolled in a program in the field of Medicine or Health in 2020
What do I include in my application?
To be considered for this scholarship you must complete the following sections within the application:
- Secondary Education History (Commencing students)
- Program (Continuing students)
- Income and expenditure: Demonstrate financial disadvantage by either being in receipt of a means-tested Commonwealth income support payment or a comprehensive assessment by the University.
- Personal statements:
- Career goals and aims: What are your career goals?
- Scholarship benefit: How will the Bursary assist you?
- Challenge(s) experienced: What challenges have you overcome?
Priority is to be given to the students studying in the School of Medicine. If there is no suitable applicant, then the Bursary can be awarded to a student studying in a Health program.
Maximum value is $2,000, payable in a single instalment
Payments are made within six weeks after the Census Date subject to satisfying scholarship Terms and conditions.
The Nellie Thomas Bursary was founded in 2008 in memory of Nellie Bertha (McDowell) Baker and Thomas McDowell. The aim of the Bursary is to assist an Indigenous student studying in the field of Medicine/Health.
Payment is made, after census, on confirmation that you are enrolled at Griffith University and still meet eligibility requirements.
Applications must be completed and submitted by the closing date.
Offers are made via email.
Applicants may be shortlisted and be required to provide additional information.