The Indigenous Commonwealth Education and Accommodation Scholarships are for Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander students who have experienced financial hardship, and/or education disadvantage that has impacted their ability to achieve their full potential.
The Indigenous Commonwealth Education Scholarship is valued at $12,000, paid over a maximum of eight payments.
The Indigenous Commonwealth Accommodation Scholarship is valued at $22,000, paid over a maximum of eight payments.
Applications close: 4 pm Friday 24 January 2020.
Can I apply?
To be eligible you must:
- be Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander
- be a domestic undergraduate student commencing University (this includes school leavers and non-school leavers) in 2020
- be relocating from a regional or remote area
- demonstrate financial disadvantage by either:
- being in receipt of a means-tested Commonwealth income support payment; or
- a comprehensive assessment by the University.
- Not have completed the requirements for an Australian Bachelor award unless such an award is a pre-requisite to their undergraduate program of enrolment and there is no alternate pathway into that program
For detailed eligibility please see the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Scholarships Policy.
What do I include in my application?
To be considered for this scholarship you must complete the following sections within the application:
- Secondary education history (commencing students)
- Income and expenditure
The assessment is made on the basis of an assessment in accordance with the following five categories:
- Financial hardship
- Home environment and responsibilities
- English language difficulty
- Personal illness and disability
- Educational disruption.
Priority will be given to students who:
- are not in receipt of any other Commonwealth-funded scholarship, such as the Centrelink Start-Up Scholarship or Relocation Grant, and in accordance with any Commonwealth legislation; and
- either demonstrate the potential for or have the proven ability for successful academic progression.
- The Commonwealth Accommodation Scholarship, maximum value $22,000, for a maximum of eight payments.
- The Commonwealth Education Costs Scholarship, maximum value $12,000, for a maximum of eight payments.
These scholarships are sponsored by the Commonwealth Government.
To remain eligible for the scholarship, you will be required to meet the terms and conditions detailed in the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander Scholarships Policy.
Applications must be completed and submitted by the closing date.
Offers are made via email.
Applicants may be shortlisted and be required to provide additional information.