Stay up to date with the latest news from the Centre for Governance and Public Policy
Our researchers provide expert commentary across a range of topics and the Centre hosts a range of seminars throughout the year. Find out about our latest research, upcoming seminars and how to contact our experts.
COVID-19 MEDIA AND COMMENTARY
The COVID-19 pandemic is affecting all of our families, businesses, communities, and our Australian way of life. During this challenging time, our researchers have contributed to research, media and commentary. Here are some of their contributions:
- Sara Davies (with Hamsini Hariharan) | Podcast: States of Anarchy - Governing a Pandemic | 9 June 2020.
- Sara Davies (with Jacqui True) | World Politics Review | The Importance of Gender Inclusion in Covid-19 Responses | 5 June 2020.
- Sara Davies (with Jacqui True and Sharman Stone) | The Interpreter | Mapping the cost of the Pandemic to Women in the Indo-Pacific | 3 June 2020.
- Sara Davies | Astro Awani (Malaysian TV) | ASEAN: Part 1 - National Borders, Regional Cooperation | 1 June 2020.
- Sara Davies | Astro Awani (Malaysian TV) | ASEAN: Part 2 - Malaysia's Response in Regional Context | 1 June 2020.
- Sara Davies | Astro Awani (Malaysian TV) | ASEAN: Part 3 - Vaccines and Disease Diplomacy | 1 June 2020.
- Ellie Martus | Machinery of Government Blog | A Post Pandemic National Environmental Policy | 26 May 2020.
- Ferran Martinez i Coma | SBS Espanol | Australia Must Prove 14 year olds are "Terror Epidemic" Before Allowing ASIO to Question Them through new 'Opportunitistic' Law | 22 May 2020.
- AJ Brown | The Australian | Coronavirus: Leaders' border spat 'a risk to our national unity'? | 21 May 2020.
- Lee Morgenbesser | SBS News | These Countries have no Official Coronavirus ccase. How Did They do it? | 20 May 2020.
- Sara Davies | ABC World Today | World Leaders Scrutinise COVID-19 Response | 19 May 2020.
- Sara Davies (with Adam Kamradt-Scott | Contain This Podcast | Disease Diplomacy | 18 May 2020.
- Sara Davies (moderator) | Online Panel Disccussion - COVID-19: Australian Government's Macroeconomic Response | 17 May 2020.
- Sara Davies | South China Morning Post | Death toll passes 300,000 US-China discord hampers search Covid-19's origin | 16 April 2020.
- Anne Tiernan | The Senior | Look Far Back to compare Morrison's Year | 15 May 2020.
- Hui Feng | Bloomberg and Yahoo Finance | Dollar Reigns Supreme During Virus Crisis with Yuan stuck in Shadows | 14 May 2020.
- Kai He | Griffith Asia Insights | International Anarchy and Failture to Cope with COVID-19 | 11 May 2020.
- Sara Davies | South China Morning Post | Why COVID success has nothing to do with diplomacy | 8 May 2020.
- Beatrice Alupo | Australian Outlook | Gender and COVID-19 Control Measures in Uganda | 6 May 2020.
- Kai He | East Asia Forum | International anarchy and failure to cope with COVID-19 | 6 May 2020.
- Sara Davies | The Interpreter | Governments, not the pandemic, stop access to reproductive health | 1 May 2020.
- Lee Morgenbesser | Foreign Policy | Autocrats are finding democratic Facades Hard to keep Up | 1 May 2020.
- Sovinda Po | VOA News | As China and US Trade Barbs, Washington Nudges ASEAN Nations on South China Sea | 29 April 2020.
- Sara Davies | South China Morning Post (also published in Line Today)| Piecemeal Lifting of Coronavirus Restrictions Likely, says experts | 27 April 2020.
- AJ Brown | Crikey | The Right to speak and leak has never been more important | 24 April 2020.
- Sara Davies | ABC Late Night Live - WHO under pressure over Covid-19 | 20 April 2020.
- Sara Davies (with Sophie Harman, Jacqui True and Clare Wenham) | The Interpreter | Why Gender Matters In The Impact And Recovery From Covid-19 | 20 March 2020.
- Lee Morgenbesser | The Globe | Cambodia's emergency powers: Combating COViD-19 or human rights? (subscriber only) | 18 April 2020.
- Lee Morgenbesser | Mediapart | In Cambodia, a liberticide emergency under cover of the fight against Covid-19 | 18 April 2020.
- Sara Davies | South China Morning Post | Coronavirus: Donald Trump's threat to cut WHO funds 'put American interests at Risk' | 16 April 2020.
- Sara Davies | ABC News | What happens if the US stops funding WHO in the middle of the coronavirus pandemic? | 16 April 2020.
- Sara Davies | Podcast - New Book Network - Containing Contagion | 15 April 2020.
- AJ Brown | Open Letter |Making Whistleblowers Safe in a Time of Covid-19 and Beyond | 15 April 2020.
- Sara Davies | The Guardian | The WHO versus Coronavirus: Why it can't handle the pandemic | 10 April 2020.
- Anne Tiernan (with Caitlin Byrne and Glyn Davis) | Big Ideas - Trust in the Time of Coronavirus | 6 April 2020.
- Sara Davies | Podcast - The Gender Card in Coronavirus with Sara Davies | 3 April 2020.
- Sara Davies | Interview with Sophie Harmon - Queen Mary University of London | Global Health Security and Pandemic: COVID-19 and Gender Equality | 2 April 2020.
- Ferran Martinez i Coma | The Atlantic - Trump Finally Recognized His Mistake | 1 April 2020.
- Sara Davies | AIIA National Conference October 2019 | International Politics of Disease Outbreak presentation (relevent to COVID-19 outbreak) | 31 March 2020.
- Elise Stephenson (with Susan Harris-Rimmer) | The Interpreter | COVID-19 responses: Why feminist leadership matters in a crisis | 31 March 2020.
- Lee Morgenbesser | Sydney Morning Herald | Human right clampdown as virus spreads in South-east Asia (comment provided) | 30 March 2020.
- Lisa Zanotti (with Jose Rama) | The Conversation (Spain) | VOX: nativism and traditionalism in times of Coronavirus | 28 March 2020.
- Sara Davies (with Asha Herten-Crabb | The Lancet | Why WHO needs a feminist economic agenda | 28 March 2020.
- Lee Morgenbesser | The Age | 'It's a powder keg': South-east Asian countries grapple with virus | 22 March 2020.
- Huiyun Feng and Sara Davies | Grant Success: Canadian Institutes for Health Research - Gendered Impacts of Covid-19 (China Case) | 19 March 2020.
- Sara Davies (with Katherine Mansted, Sarah Logan, Susan Harris Rimmer , Claire Higgins and Denielle Chubb) | The Centre of Gravity Series | Fresh Perspectives in Security | 19 March 2020.
- Sovinda Po | East Asia Forum | Cambodia holds China close despite coronavirus | 13 March 2020.
- Teesta Prakash and Phyu Phyu Oo | The Interpreter | Side effects: Covid-19 allows India - a chance to lend Myanmar a hand | 5 March 2020.
- Sara Davies | East Asia Forum | Managing Asia's Coronavirus Response | 16 February 2020.
- Sara Davies | Australian Financial Review | Lessons for the Region from Virus Response | 16 February 2020.
- Sara Davies | Griffith Asia Insights | The Coronavirus and Trust in the Process of International Co-operation: A System Under Pressure | 11 February 2020.
- Sara Davies | Ethics and International Affairs | The Coronavirus and Trust. in the Process of International Cooperation: A System Under Pressure | February 2020.
PAT WELLER PRIZE 2019
Congratulations to Joseph Mackay who is the recipient of the 2019 Pat Weller Prize. Joseph is the winner of the highest grade in the first year Trimester one course, Introduction to Politics, within the Bachelor of Government and International Relations.
The Award is presented annually by Emeritus Professor Pat Weller to encourage students’ academic excellence in the field of political science. Well done Joseph.
BOOK LAUNCH 2019
Congratulations to all our Centre members who have published in 2019. We were honoured to have Vice Chancellor Professor Carolyn Evans officiate at the Book Launch. We acknowledged and celebrated the release of 9 books on a variety of subjects within the political science discipline.
Centre authors included: Duncan McDonnell; Tu Nguyen; Sara Davies; Huiyun Feng and Kai He; Xu Yi-chong; Luis Cabrera; Ciaran O'Faircheallaigh; Liz van Acker and Giorel Curran.
To find out more about our members recent publications please go to the Publications page below.