Build your leadership, communication and global networks
The Griffith Mates program is an integral component of Griffith University’s English Language Enhancement Strategy. Participants in the program are selected for their demonstrable leadership qualities and a willingness to contribute to an improved student experience. Each Griffith Mate receives mentoring by staff from the Griffith International Student Experience team to enhance their leadership, communication and cross-cultural skills.
1. Induction training
Newly recruited student leaders undertake compulsory induction training with Student Experience staff prior to commencing their placement with the program.
2. Griffith Mates Leadership Symposium
One day intensive leadership development workshop for all current Griffith Mates.Build your leadership capabilities, program specific knowledge, cultural intelligence and conceptualise your role as a Griffith Mate.
3. Griffith Mates Positions
Griffith Mates volunteer between 50-100 hours a year. To receive recognition for a Griffith Mates placement, students have to successfully complete two to three allocated positions in the program. Positions include:
- Netflix Party Host
- Online Event Manager
- Online Content Creator
- Peer Mentor (Senior Buddy)
- Virtual Coffee Host
- Online Engagement Officer
- Marketing and Engagement Manager
4. Rewards and Recognition
Students who complete all required elements of the Griffith Mates program placement will receive formal recognition of their contributions with:
- Letter of Reference signed by the Vice President (Global), Professor Sarah Todd
- Verified Griffith Credentials badge for the Griffith Mates Program
- End of Trimester events to celebrate each trimester with your campus cohort and Griffith International staff.
Please note: Students must complete a minimum of two trimesters to receive annual recognition of their placement with Griffith Mates.
Continue to build your professional capabilities, profile and connections.
- Connect with Griffith Mates on LinkedIn to stay connected with an extended network of your peers and staff.
- Leverage working relationships, develop skills for employment and experience as a Griffith Mate to apply for professional positions in your industry.
- Be a current Griffith student (domestic or international) who has completed at least one trimester of study at Griffith University.
- Commit to participating in the program for a minimum of trimesters in an academic year.
What participants say
The Griffith Mates is a volunteer program that has changed my university life. Not only was I brought out of my shell and get out of my comfort zone, I also made new friends across all different degrees. It is a program where I learnt leadership, team work and professional skills that will put me above the rest of the competition in the workforce. I have been able to build a global network by simple volunteering and really contribute to the Griffith community for new students in a happy and positive environment.
Griffith Mates program is a great opportunity for both, international and local students to have a great time together while gaining an unforgettable experience of working with students. This program helped me to find new friends and obtain many important skills for my future career. Time spent with Griffith Mates is definitely the best time at the university!