Three Minute Thesis (3MT) is an academic competition that challenges HDR candidates to describe their research within three minutes to a general audience. The 3MT is held at many universities across Australia, New Zealand and Asia, culminating in an Asia-Pacific 3MT Final. The competition aims to professionally develop the presentation and research communication skills of all participants, honing their ability to effectively explain their research in a language that can be understood by a non-specialist audience.
In 2020, due to the COVID-19 restrictions, the entire competition was completed online. See below the 2020 contestants' presentations and results. The 3MT competition will be run again in 2021, so stay tuned for more information!
2020 Three Minute Thesis Glycomics Contestants
WHO CAN PRESENT IN THE 2020 GLYCOMICS HEATS?
Active PhD candidates who have successfully passed their confirmation milestone (including candidates whose thesis is under submission) by the date of their first presentation are eligible to participate in 3MT competitions at all levels, including the Asia-Pacific 3MT competition.
There are some great prizes on offer for the Glycomics Heats:
- 1st Prize - $800 gift voucher
- 2nd Prize - $400 gift voucher
- People's Choice Prize - $250 gift voucher
THE 2020 ONLINE EVENT
The 2020 Institute for Glycomics 3MT virtual competition will take place in the following stages:
Monday 3 - Friday 7 August
Participants' videos live for public viewing
On Monday 3 August, the video links will be uploaded to the Glycomics website, and announcements will be sent via our Institute for Glycomics social media channels to invite colleagues, supporters, friends and the general public to view the videos. The videos will be able to be viewed for the week.
Friday 7 August
Judges to make their decisions
The Judges will view the videos during the week, and will make their decisions by Friday 7 August.
Friday 7 August, 10 - 11 am
People's Choice voting
Voting for People's Choice will open for one hour on Friday 7 August from 10 - 11 am.
Friday 7 August, 2 pm
Announcement of the winners
Winners (1st, 2nd and People's Choice) will be announced in the Institute for Glycomics across our social media channels on Friday 7 August, at 2:00 pm.
2020 VIRTUAL 3MT COMPETITION RULES
Modifications to the 3MT rules have been made to accommodate the new virtual format.
- Presentations are limited to 3 minutes and competitors exceeding 3 minutes are disqualified.
- Presentations are considered to have commenced when a presenter starts their presentation through speech (timing does not include the 3MT title slide and commences from when the competitor starts speaking, not the start of the video).
- Videos must meet the following criteria:
- Filmed on the horizontal;
- Filmed on a plain background;
- Filmed from a static position;
- Filmed from one camera angle;
- Contain a 3MT title slide;
- Contain a 3MT PowerPoint slide (top right corner/right side/cut to).
Previous Glycomics student 3MT finalists