Behavioural Risk Factors (SNAPO) for Cardiovascular Disease in the Queensland Construction Industry
In 2008-2009 the Queensland Government compared construction workers’ health status with the wider adult population. The results identified the construction industry in Queensland as a high-risk industry due to a higher-than-average prevalence of a number of chronic disease risk factors.
This team of consultants were engaged by the Department to deliver an 18-month research consultancy aimed at reducing organisational, industry and individual barriers to minimising behavioural risk factors for cardiovascular disease. Griffith was successful in securing partnership for this intervention with Hutchinson Builders. The 12-month intervention period is now complete and evaluation is currently underway.
- Associate Professor Rebecca Loudoun (Griffith University, Australia) - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Associate Professor Keith Townsend (Griffith University, Australia)
- Dr Katherine Markwell (formerly of Griffith University, Australia)
- Loudoun, Rebecca 2015, "Work environments in project–based construction work and outcomes for health promoting behaviours", 28 April, Centre for Work, Organisation and Wellbeing Seminar Series, Griffith University, Brisbane, Australia.
- Loudoun, Rebecca and Gilbert, Jamie 2016, "Presentation 4. Good. Better. Best. Applying good work design principles to maximise health and wellbeing", Workplace Health and Safety Construction Health Forum , Workplace Health and Safety Queensland, 1 March, Brisbane, Australia.
This project involved developing tools to evaluate current practices and processes on construction sites and to assist with setting up construction sites to create healthy workplaces under the Queensland Government’s 'Healthier. Happier. Workplaces' initiative:
- Loudoun, Rebecca and Townsend, Keith 2017, "Implementing health promotion programs in the Australian construction industry: levers and agents for change", Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 260-274.
- Townsend, Keith, Loudoun, Rebecca and Markwell, Katherine 2016, "The role of line managers in creating and maintaining healthy work environments on project construction sites", Construction Management and Economics, vol. 34, no. 9, pp. 611–621, doi: 10.1080/01446193.2016.1195911.
In the media
- Inwood, Clare 2015, "The hidden role of site managers: influencing construction workers’ eating habits", Griffith News, 19 May, Griffith University, Brisbane, Australia.
- Loudoun, Rebecca 2016, "Five minutes...with Rebecca Loudoun", Griffith News, 29 July, Griffith University, Brisbane, Australia.
- O’Grady, Stephen 2015, "Construction industry needs to change menu", Griffith News, 16 October, Griffith University, Brisbane, Australia.
- O’Grady, Stephen 2015, "What’s on menu for under pressure workers?", Griffith News, 23 April, Griffith University, Brisbane, Australia.