Like other capital, human capital represents a form of wealth. In today’s globalised environment, organisations face many challenges in effectively managing human capital, including attracting and retaining key talent, managing individual and team performance, constant upskilling and reskilling to keep ahead of competition, and strategically aligning human capital to meet organisational goals for the short and long terms.
While managing chronic skill shortages and the subsequent effects on employee workloads that impact staff wellbeing and retention, these challenges add complexity to the management of people at work.
- Careers and career development
- Digital human resource management
- Global services offshoring
- High-performance workplaces
- Human resource information systems and eHRM
- International human resource management
- Intra- and inter-firm knowledge transfer and absorption
- LGBTI workers
- Line managers and frontline managers
- Organisational discourse analysis
- Performance in teams
- Personality and performance
- Psychological contracts
- Transformational and authentic leadership
- Women in international management
Recent research outputs
- Bednall, T. C., Rafferty, A., Shipton, H., Sanders, K., and Jackson, C. J. 2018, 'Innovative behaviour: How much transformational leadership do you need?', British Journal of Management, 29(4), pp. 796-816.
- Caffersky, K., Heffernan, M., Harnety, B., Dundon, T. and Townsend, K. 2018, 'Perceptions of HRM system strength and affective commitment: The role of human relations and internal process climate', The International Journal of Human Resource Management, pp. 1-23.
- Chu, M. L., Creed, P. A., & Conlon, E. G. 2019. 'Work–Study Boundary Congruence, Contextual Supports, and Proactivity in University Students Who Work: A Moderated-Mediation Model', Journal of Career Development. Doi: https://doi.org/10.1177/0894845319830253
- Greenfield, D., Kellner, A., Townsend, K., Wilkinson, A. and Lawrence, S.A. 2014, ‘Health service accreditation reinforces a mindset of high performance human resource management: Lessons from an Australian study’, International Journal for Quality in Health Care, 26(4), pp. 372-377.
- Hutchings, K. and McNulty, Y. 2018, 'Split family expatriation: Perspectives from expatriates and their career spouses' in Y. McNulty (ed) Research Handbook of Global Families: Implications for International Business, Cheltenham, UK: Edward Elgar.
- Hutchings, K. and Michailova, S. (eds) 2014, Research Handbook on Women in International Management, Edward Elgar.
- Liu, H., Cutcher, L. and Grant, D. 2015, ‘Doing authenticity: The gendered construction of authentic leadership’, Gender, Work and Organization, 22(3), pp. 237–255.
- McPhail, R. and McNulty, Y. 2015, ‘“Oh, the places you won’t go as an LGBT expat!” A study of HRMs duty of care to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender expatriates in dangerous locations’, European Journal of International Management, 9(6), pp. 735–765.
- Rogers, M.E., Creed, P.A. and Searle, J. 2014, ‘Emotional labour, training stress, burnout, and depressive symptoms in junior doctors’, Journal of Vocational Education & Training, 66, pp. 232-248.
- Schleimer, S. and Faems, D. 2016, ‘Connecting interfirm and intrafirm collaboration in NPD projects: Does innovation context matters?, The Journal of Product Information Management, 33(2), pp. 154–165.
- Sheppard, S., Hood, M., & Creed, P. A. 2019. 'An Identity Control Theory Approach to Managing Career Identity in Emerging Adults', Emerging Adulthood. https://doi.org/10.1177/2167696819830484
- Torugsa, N. and O’Donohue, W. 2016, ‘Progress in innovation and knowledge management research: From incremental to transformative innovation’, Journal of Business Research, 69(5), pp. 1610–1614.
- Torugsa N., Yawised K., O’Donohue W. 2019. 'Social Customer Relationship Management in Small and Medium Enterprises: Overcoming Barriers to Success' in: Machado C., Davim J. (eds) Management Science. Management and Industrial Engineering. Springer, Cham.
- Walker, B.R., Collins, M.D., Gardiner, E., O’Connor, P.J. and Jackson, C.J. 2016, ‘How process models of personality based on revised reinforcement sensitivity theory suggest a way to organize personality structure’, Personality and Individual Differences, 101, pp. 524–525.
- Wilkinson, A., Wood, G. and Demirbag, M. 2014, ‘People management in Emerging Market Multinationals’, Human Resource Management, 53(6).
- Williams, M. and Gardiner, E. 2018, 'The power of personality at work: Core self-evaluations and earnings in the United Kingdom', Human Resource Management Journal, 28(1), pp. 45-60.