Griffith laboratories - aiming for best sustainable practice
Why sustainability matters in laboratories
Lab work has a significant impact on the environment, ranging from energy and resource comsumption to chemical and equipment use and disposal.
The Green Labs Programs aims to encourage best practice related to procurement, energy, water and waste in laboratories.
Green Labs Program objectives:
- Reduce energy and water consumption
- Improve waste disposal and recycling practices
- Raise environmental impact and protection awareness in laboratories
- Improve purchasing decisions in laboratories.
All Griffith laboratories will be included in the Program through a phased introduction 2017-2020.
Green Labs Program Framework 2017-2020
Griffith University's Green Labs Program is framed around collaboration and engagement with the aim for best sustainable practice in laboratories.
This framework document provides information on:
- program objectives
- framework and role of the Green Labs Program Working Group
- checklist that incorporates three levels of progressive commitment
- participants involved in the phased introduction 2017-2020.
Green Labs Pilot Program 2016
The Green Labs Pilot Program ran from March/April to 2 September 2016. The pilot provided the opportunity to develop resource material, obtain data and analyse outcomes, and engage staff in working toward best sustainable practice. Areas involved:
- School of Natural Sciences N44 3.16A and 3.16B
- Eskitis N75 Rooms 1.29 and 1.39, 2.14 and 2.17
- G16 Suite Rooms 4.24 and 4.29 including ancilliary areas 4.25, 4.26, 4.27 and 4.28.
For further information: Summary - Green Labs Pilot Program Report 2016
Griffith Sciences: Mr Stephen Boyd Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Griffith Health: Ms Susie Head Email: email@example.com
Sustainability Project Officer, Office of DVC (Engagement): Ms Kay Ollett Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Green Guide for Griffith Laboratories
- Lower the Sash stickers
- Guideline for the Safe and Sustainable Procurement of Chemicals
- Guideline for the Management of Clinical and Related Waste
- Green Labs newsletter - April 2016
- Green Labs newsletter - June 2016
- Green Labs newsletter - July 2017