What you can do
- Incorporate sustainability principles into your events and meetings.
- Join Griffith's Mug Club - Mug Club members enjoy a discount on every coffee, every day when using their GU Mug. The Mug can be purchased from most food outlets across all campuses.
- Use refillable water bottles
- Purchase foods with minimal packaging
- Buy fresh, rather than frozen food
- Buy seasonal fruit and vegetables
- Do not over cater for meetings and conferences
- Reduce food waste
Fast Food-waste factsThe Foodwise website highlights:
- Australians discard up to 20% of the food they purchase.
- Up to 40% of the average household bin is food waste.
- For the average Australian household $1,036 of food is thrown away every year.
- Australians waste 4,000,000 tonnes of food each year
- Australians throw out 345kg per household, which is the same weight as 3 average size fridges.
What we are doing
Griffith’s Food and Catering Services is a member of the Restaurant Catering Association. The Association manages and promotes Green Table Australia.
- We strive to incorporate sustainable practices in our food and catering services
- Our sustainability initiatives include the GU Mugs
- Our catering department uses Biopak packaging
- We support companies that support sustainability practices. We are part of the TAG buying group, which ranks companies in relation to their sustainable practices.
View: Griffith Food Outlets
Sustainable Events and Meetings GuideGriffith's Sustainable Events and Meetings Guide provides an overview and checklist of items to consider when organising your event. It includes tips on selecting venues to organising registration, promotion, event materials, catering, energy, waste and water management, as well as transport strategies. View Griffith's Sustainable Events and Meetings Guide.
- Griffith Uni Food Co-op
- Australian Farmers’ Market Association
- Fair Trade Australia
- My Green Life: Food and Drink
- Sustainable Seafood