Our sustainability commitment
We see the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) as a reflection of our core values and are committed to investing in First Peoples, environmental sustainability, diversity and inclusion, and social justice.
Griffith University's sustainability commitment and achievements were recognised by the Green Gown Awards Australasia in 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017 and 2018.
Our sustainability goals include:
- Halving carbon emissions by 2030 and reducing them to net zero emissions by 2050.
- Protecting our diverse ecosystems across all campuses.
- Ranking in the top 200 universities in the world for the implementation of the United Nations’ Sustainable Development Goals.
The implementation of these goals is overseen by the Sustainability Sub Committee, which represents all elements of the University and is Co-chaired by Professor Brendan Mackey, Director, Griffith Climate Change Response Program, and Mr Peter Bryant, Chief Operating Officer, Griffith University.
Policies, Plans and Reports
- Sustainability Policy (PDF)
- Sustainability Plan 2017–2020 (PDF)
- Sustainable Transport Strategy (PDF)
- Sustainability Plan 2013–2015 (PDF)
- Sustainability Report 2013–2015 (PDF)
- Sustainability Report 2018 (PDF)
- Sustainability Report 2019 (PDF)
- Green Guide for Griffith Laboratories (PDF)
- Guidelines for Safe and Sustainable Procurement of Chemicals (PDF)
- Guidelines for the Management of Clinical and Related Waste (PDF)
- Sustainable Events and Meetings Checklist (PDF)
Griffith is committed to responsible investments
Griffith University's free cash, other than nominal amounts in operational bank accounts, is invested in either the Queensland Treasury Corporation (QTC) Capital Guaranteed Cash Fund or the Queensland Investment Corporation (QIC) Growth Fund. The QTC Capital Guaranteed Cash Fund invests the majority of its funds in medium-term floating rate notes, discount securities, and cash, in banks and financial institutions. QIC is a signatory to the United Nations-backed Principles for Responsible Investment (UNPRI) initiative and has adopted a Responsible Investment Policy that outlines its commitment to the principles of the UNPRI.