Learn more about special consideration, including how to apply
You may apply for special consideration for a course or any assessment item in that course if your performance was seriously affected, or you were seriously disadvantaged when the assessment item was attempted on the grounds of illness, accident, disability, bereavement or other compassionate circumstances.
Special consideration only applies under exceptional circumstances.
In most instances, you should be able to receive support in completing an assessment task through either a:
Applying for special consideration
Applications for special consideration for an assessment item are only applicable where the assessment item has been submitted or attempted. Applications must be submitted through the online application form no later than three working days after the assessment task was scheduled to take place, or was due.
Requests for special consideration in terms of performance across all assessment tasks in a course must be submitted online no later than three working days after the date of the final exam or assessment item for that course.
Your application must also include appropriate documentation to support the grounds on which you are requesting special consideration. Grounds could include the following:
- illness—medical certificate
- accident—statutory declaration
- temporary disability—medical certificate
- bereavement—bereavement notice or statutory declaration
- sporting or cultural commitment at state, national or international representative level—letter from sporting body
- technical difficulties that seriously affected your performance when an assessment item was attempted or submitted—timestamped screenshot, proof of help request, statutory declaration
- other compassionate circumstances—statutory declaration.
You will be emailed of the outcome of your application for special consideration. The status and outcome of your application can be viewed using ‘My application status’.