Deferred assessment would normally be applied for if you have been prevented from attending an assessment task that is scheduled to occur on a specific date, such as:
- exam (in-trimester or end of trimester)
- presentation (technical or professional)
- performance (artistic)
- guided discussion with peers; or
- test or quiz.
To take some pressure off you during the coronavirus pandemic, Griffith has made some changes to assessment practices.
If you experience difficulties in obtaining a medical certificate to support a deferred assessment application, you may submit a signed statutory declaration to support your application.
Deferral of other assessment tasks, if you are unable to submit them by the due date, are applied for using an assignment extension.
Should exceptional circumstances exist, which have resulted in your performance being seriously affected, or if you have been seriously disadvantaged in attempting the assessment item, you may wish to apply for special consideration.
Applying for deferred assessment
Applications for deferred assessment must be submitted through the online application form no later than three working days after the assessment was scheduled to take place.
Your application must also include appropriate documentation to support the grounds on which you are requesting your assessment to be deferred.
Grounds could include the following:
- illness—medical certificate
- accident—statutory declaration
- temporary disability—medical certificate
- bereavement—bereavement notice or statutory declaration
- sporting or cultural commitment at state, national or international representative level—letter from sporting body
- technical difficulties that prevented you from attempting your scheduled assessment—timestamped screenshot, proof of help request, statutory declaration
- other compassionate circumstances—statutory declaration.
You will be emailed of the outcome of your application for deferred assessment. The status and outcome of your application can be viewed at any time using ‘My application status’.
Deferred end-of-trimester exams
All end-of-trimester deferred exams are held during the deferred/supplementary exam period for that trimester. Refer to the Academic Calendar and key dates for the deferred/supplementary exam period dates that apply to you. It is important to note that further rescheduling of a deferred end-of-trimester exam is not possible. If you are still unable to sit your deferred or supplementary exam because of exceptional circumstances, you may apply to withdraw after the census date due to special circumstances.