Are public holidays deducted when I am taking leave?
No. Public holidays do not use any of your recreation, long service or sick leave entitlement. If you take five days off and one is a public holiday, then only four days of leave will be used.
Can I change/cancel my leave dates?
- If your leave status is "submitted", then please contact your supervisor and ask them to decline your leave application. You can then cancel this application and resubmit a new application for the revised dates.
- If your leave has been approved and not processed in the pay run, please log into Griffith Staff Portal>My Staff Page>Time and Absence>Cancel absences and select the period you wish to cancel. Hit "cancel absence". This will workflow to your supervisor for approvals and then once fully approved, will cancel the request in the absence history.
- If your leave has been approved and processed through a pay run, please email your supervisor the details of the cancellation including your Staff ID number and ask them to email email@example.com with their approval.
Can I have my recreation leave/long service leave re-credited because I was sick while on leave?
Yes. You can be credited for periods of three days or more recreation or long service leave on submission via email to your supervisor and ask them to forward their approval via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will also need to forward a medical certificate from a qualified medical practitioner.
Can I view all of my leave applications?
You can access your leave history via Griffith Staff Portal>My Staff Page>Time and Absence>View Requests. Change filter for dates if future dates are not showing.
Can I work for another unit within the University while on long service, parental or recreation leave?
No. While you are on long service, parental or recreation leave, you are on leave. While on leave you are not eligible to work in another paid position for the University.
Can I work for an outside organisation while on long service or recreation leave?
No. While employed by the University you are not able to work for any other employer without the approval of the Vice Chancellor. The Vice Chancellor's approval my be obtained by presenting your case to the Director, Human Resource Management.
How do I access my long service leave as a casual staff member?
How do I apply for flex leave?
Submit your flex leave application via email to your immediate supervisor. This type of leave is not managed by the Office of Human Resource Management.
How do I apply for leave?
Submit your leave application via Griffith Staff Portal>My Staff Page>Time and Absence>Request Absence. Please complete absence name, start date and end date and then click "check eligibility". If message advises application is eligible, then proceed to submit. If message advises application is ineligible, contact Office of HRM.
How do I apply for parental leave?
Please submit a completed Leave Application Form to Office of HRM, (Bray Centre) N54_1.22 supported by:
Documentation confirming your status as an expectant parent, e.g. medical certificate.
Written notice of:
- intention to take parental leave;
- taking on the role as primary care giver; and
- intention to return to work following completion of parental leave.
This type of leave cannot be applied for via the Staff Portal.
How do I apply for research and/or conference leave?
Submit your leave application via email (detailing research proposal/conference details and dates) to your Head of School/Department or Centre Director. This type of absence is covered by "Absence on Official University Business" and is not recorded in the Human Resource Management system.
How do I enter partial leave days in my application?
Enter minutes used as leave in fractions, i.e. 30 minutes = 0.5, 15 minutes = 0.25.
How do I get approval for Jury Duty?
Submit your leave application via Griffith Staff Portal>My Staff Page>Time and Absence>Request Absence. Please complete absence name, start date and end date and then click on "check eligibility". Message should appear to confirm eligibility. Hit "submit".
How do I know what my current leave balance is?
How do I organise an exemption for Jury Duty?
Please discuss with your supervisor who will prepare and sign an exemption letter, if appropriate.
How many leave days do I accrue per year?
Leave accrues at different rates:
- Recreation Leave = 20 days per year
- Sick Leave = 10 days per year
- Family, Cultural Obligations and Other Special Circumstances = 5 days per calendar year
How much long service leave do I have?
I am a casual staff member. Am I eligible for long service leave?
Yes. You will be entitled to long service leave if your employment service is continuous, even though:
- some of the employment is not full time;
- you are engaged under two or more contracts/timesheets; or
- you are engaged in other employment during the period.
Continuous service ends, for the purpose of an entitlement to long service leave; if your employment is broken by more than three months between the end of one employment contract and the start of the next employment contract.
I am a new staff member and have accrued long service leave with another University. Is service with other Universities recognised?
Yes. The University will recognise all prior continuous paid full-time and part-time service within Australian universities and inter-university bodies, provided that if you have taken a period of long service leave or have been paid in lieu of long service leave, this period will be deducted from any entitlement due. For further information, please refer to the respective Enterprise Agreement for Academic Staff or General Staff.
I am not sure my leave balance is correct. Can this be checked?
Yes. Please email email@example.com providing your Staff ID number and your query.
I work part time. How does my leave accrue?
Your leave is accrued on a pro-rata basis.
My leave balances on the Staff Portal are shown in hours. How do I work out how many days it is?
Divide your hours by 7.25, i.e. 189 hours/7.25 = 26 days.
Note: "Family, Cultural and Other Leave" is displayed in days.
Griffith Food and Child Care staff please divide by 7.6.
What happens to my leave balances if I haven't taken them all during my fixed term contract?
You are required to take all your accrued recreation leave prior to the end of your contract. If there hasn't been adequate opportunity for you to take the leave, then payment in lieu of recreation leave may be paid.
What leave types can I apply for through the Staff Portal?
Most types of leave are covered:
- Bereavement leave;
- Family, cultural obligations and other special circumstances leave;
- Flexible work leave - for those participating in the "Flexible Work Year";
- Leave without salary;
- Long service leave;
- Recreation leave;
- Sick leave;
- Sick leave without salary;
- Workplace Relations Training; and
- Other leave - jury duty, reserve forces, state emergency services, court attendance.
When am I eligible for long service leave?
Continuing and fixed term staff will be entitled to long service leave upon completion of ten years of recognised continuous employment.
Will I lose my recreation leave at the end of the year?
No. However, you should have leave plans in place with your supervisor and submitted via the Staff Portal to ensure you use your recreation leave annually.