Am I expected to take all of my recreation leave each year?
Yes. It is expected that, except where prior approval to accrue leave has been given, annual leave plans will ensure that all recreation leave accrued during any calendar year will have been taken by the end of the second week of February in the following year.
Can I change my leave dates?
- If your leave status is "submitted", then please contact your supervisor and ask them to decline your leave application. You can then edit this application and resubmit.
- If your leave has been approved and not processed in the pay run, please log into the Griffith Staff Portal>My Staff Page>Time and Absence>Cancel absences. Select the period you wish to cancel and hit "cancel absence". This will workflow to your supervisor for approvals and then once fully approved, will cancel the request in absence history.
- If you leave has been approved and processed through a pay run, please email your supervisor the details of the cancellation including your Staff ID number and ask them to email firstname.lastname@example.org with their approval.
How do I apply for recreation leave via the Staff Portal?
Submit your leave application via the My Leave Request tile.
- Log into the Staff Portal;
- Select My Staff Page from the Key Services menu;
- Select Request Absence from the Time & Absence tile;
- Staff with multiple jobs need to select the Job.
- Complete your leave application and follow the instructions to submit for approval.
How do I apply to carry over my leave balance?
If you wish to carry over any of your accrued recreation leave, you should seek approval from the relevant Pro Vice Chancellor or Deputy Vice Chancellor for this to occur. In submitting your request, you must include a proposed leave plan, signed by your supervisor, which will ensure that your carry over recreation leave accrual, as well as future leave accruals, will have been taken by the second week of February of the following year.
How many days do I accrue per year?
A full-time academic staff member accrues 20 days recreation leave for each completed year of service. A part-time staff member accrues recreation leave on a pro-rate basis, based on a fraction of full-time employment.
What happens if I don't enter my leave takings in the Staff Portal?
If your leave takings are not entered by mid-December and the Office of HRM has not been informed that the relevant Pro Vice Chancellor or Deputy Vice Chancellor has approved to carry over all or part of your accrued recreation leave, a compliant default annual leave plan will be entered.
What happens to my leave balances if I haven't taken them all during my fixed term contract?
You are required all of your accrued recreation leave prior to the end of your contract. If there hasn't been adequate opportunity for you to take the leave, then payment in lieu of recreation leave may be paid.
What is an Academic Leave Plan?
Academic staff are required, as part of the annual academic review process, to discuss an annual leave plan for the following calendar year with their supervisor. The approved leave dates should then be applied for via the Staff Portal no later than mid-December each year.