It is important to always consider your own personal safety and protect your belongings. To reduce the opportunity for thefts from vehicles, you should:
- Park in a well-lit, busy area. Make sure your surroundings are safe prior to getting out of your car.
- Do not leave valuables in your car.
- Use an approved steering lock (ie a 'Club Lock').
- Always lock your car when leaving it.
- Walk confidently to or from your car with your keys held ready to open the door.
- Check the back seat or hatch for intruders before getting into your car.
- Once inside, lock all doors and if possible leave windows up until you have reached your destination.
- If a passing motorist indicates that you should stop, keep driving to a service station. If you decide to stop, stay in the car with the doors locked and the window partly open to speak through. Drive away if you feel threatened.
Tips for keeping your bike safe:
- Use a good quality lock
- Lock your bike to a bike stand
- Lock your bike through A frame
- Secure quick release parts
- Remove valuable accessories
- Record serial Make/Model numbers
- Photograph and consider insurance
Bike racks and End-of-trip facilities
These videos provide important advice on staying safe. Use the icon in the top left to see the full playlist.