Dipl. Ing, Dr. Ing., Dr. Ing. habil.
Fellow ASME, Member IEEE
Director, Queensland Micro- and Nanotechnology Centre
Nam-Trung Nguyen received his Dip-Ing, Dr Ing and Dr Ing Habil degrees from Chemnitz University of Technology, Germany, in 1993, 1997 and 2004, respectively. The habilitation degree (Dr Ing Habil ) is the respected qualification for a full professorship in Germany. During his 10 year stay in Germany, he also worked for Robert Bosch GmbH, the industry leader in micro electromechanical systems (MEMS) for automotive applications. He contributed to the development of the MEMS-based fuel injection systems as well as sensing systems for pressure and mass flow rate. In 1998, he was a postdoctoral research engineer in the Berkeley Sensor and Actuator Center (University of California at Berkeley, USA). Prof Nguyen is the First Runner Up of Inaugural ProSPER.Net-Scopus Young Scientist Awards in Sustainable Development in 2009 and the Runner Up of ASAIHL-Scopus Young Scientist Awards in 2008. He is a Fellow of ASME and a Member of IEEE.
His research is focused on microfluidics, nanofluidics, micro/nanomachining technologies, micro/nanoscale science, and instrumentation for biomedical applications. He published over 190 journal papers and filed 8 patents, of which 3 were granted. Among the books he has written, the first and second editions of the bestseller “Fundamentals and Applications of Microfluidics” co-authored with S. Wereley were published in 2002 and 2006, respectively. His latest book “Nanofluidics” was published in 2009. The second edition of the bestselling book "Micromixer" was acquired and published by Elsevier in 2011
As of January 2011, his works were cited 3,100 times (ISI). His researcher ID with updated publication list and citation metrics is A-4180-2008 (http://www.researcherid.com/rid/A-4180-2008). According to ISI Web of Science and ISI Essential Science Indicators, he has a current H-index of 29 and ranks 588th out of 7631 Most Cited Scientists (top 1%) in Engineering.
- N.T. Nguyen, 2011, Micromixers–Fundamentals, Design and Fabrication, 2nd edition, Elsevier.
- P. Abgrall, N. T. Nguyen, 2009, Nanofluidics, Artech House.
- N.T. Nguyen, 2009, Chapter 2: Micropumping and microvalving. In D. Zahn(Ed), Methods in Bioengineering: Biomicrofabrication and Biomicrofluidics. Boston: Artech House.
- Y. Sun, Y. C. Kwok, N. T. Nguyen, 2009, Chapter 22: Circular ferrofluid-driven PCR microchips, Lab on a Chip (Vol. 1): Fabrication and Microfluidics, Eds: K. E. Herold, A. Rasooly, Caister Academic Press, pp. 371-383.
- N. T. Nguyen, 2008, Chapter 6 Function and form elements in microsystem technology, Microsystem Technology - A Guide for Students, Wiley, pp. 184-194.
- N. Kashaninejad, N.T. Nguyen, W.K. Chan, Three-phase contact line shape and eccentricity effect of anisotropic wetting on hydrophobic surfaces, Soft Matter, Vol. 9, No. 2, 2013, pp. 527-535.
- N. Kashaninejad, N.T. Nguyen, W.K. Chan, Eccentricity effects of microhole arrays on drag reduction efficiency of microchannels with a hydrophobic wall, Physics of Fluids, Vol. 24, No. 11, 2012, pp. 112004.
- W. H. Koh, K.S. Lok, N.T. Nguyen, A digital micro magnetofluidic platform for lab-on-a-chip applications, Journal of Fluids Engineering, in print, 2012.
- Z.Z. Che, T.N. Wong, N.T. Nguyen, Heat transfer in plug flow in cylindrical microcapillaries with constant surface heat flux, International Journal of Thermal Sciences, Vol. 64, No. 2, 2013, pp. 204–212.
- Y.S. Lim, S.C.M Yu, N.T. Nguyen, Flow visualization and heat transfer characteristics of gas-liquid two phase flow in microtube under constant heat flux at wall, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 56. No. 1-2, 2013, pp. 350-359.
- G.P. Zhu, N.T. Nguyen, Magnetofluidic spreading in microchannels, Microfluidics and Nanofluidics, Vol. 13, No. 4, 2012, pp 655-663.
- G.P. Zhu, N.T. Nguyen, Rapid magnetofluidic mixing in a uniform magnetic field, Lab on a Chip, Vol. 12, No. 22, 2012, pp. 4772-4780.
- H.W. Li, T. N. Wong, N.T. Nguyen, Instability of two pressure driven viscous fluid streams in a microchannel under a normal electric field, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 55, No. 23-24, 2012, pp . 6994-7004.
- T.D. Luong, N.T. Nguyen, A. Sposito, Thermocoalescence of microdroplets in a microfluidic chamber, Applied Physics Letter, Vol. 100, 2012, 254105.
- S.A. Mousavi Shaegh, N.T. Nguyen, S. M. Mousavi Ehteshami, S.H. Chan, Membraneless hydrogen peroxide fuel cell using Prussian Blue as cathode material, Energy & Environmental Science,Vol. 5, No. 8, 2012, pp. 8225-8228.
- H.W. Li, C.L. Song, T.D. Luong, N.T. Nguyen, T.N. Wong, Electrokinetically tunable optofluidic bi-concave lens, Lab on a Chip, 2012, Vol. 12, No. 19, pp. 3680-3687.
- K.S. Lok, Y.C. Kwok, N.T. Nguyen, Double spiral detection channel for on-chip chemiluminescence detection, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, Vol. 169, 2012, pp. 144-150.
- K.S. Lok,Y.C. Kwok, P.P.F. Lee, N.T. Nguyen, Ferrofluid plug as valve and actuator for whole-cell PCR on chip, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, Vol. 166-167, 2012, pp. 893-897.
- S.A. Mousavi Shaegh, N.T. Nguyen, S.H. Chan, Air-breathing microfluidic fuel cell with fuel reservoir, Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 209, 2012, pp. 312-317.
- N. Kashaninejad, W.K. Chan, N.T. Nguyen, Eccentricity effect of micropatterned surface on contact angle, Langmuir, 2012, Vol. 28, No. 10, pp 4793–4799.
- K.S. Lok, S.Z.b. A. Muttalib, P.P.F. Lee, Y.C. Kwok, N.T. Nguyen, Rapid determination of vitamin B12 concentration with a chemiluminescence lab on a chip, Lab on a Chip, Vol. 12, No. 13, 2012, pp. 2353-2316.
- H.W. Li, T.N. Wong, N.T. Nguyen, Electrohydrodynamic and shear-stress interfacial instability of two streaming viscous liquid inside a microchannel for tangential electric fields, Micro and Nanosystems, Vol. 4, No. 1, 2012, pp. 14-24.
- K.S. Lok, P.P.F. Lee, Y.C. Kwok, N.T. Nguyen, Nested PCR in magnetically actuated circular closed-loop PCR microchip system, Microchimica Acta, Vol. 177, No. 1-2, 2012, pp. 111-117.
- K. S. Lok, Y. C. Kwok, N.T. Nguyen, Sample loading and retrieval by centrifugation in a closed-loop PCR microchip, Microchimica Acta, 2012, Vol. 176, No. 3, 2012, pp. 445-453.
- H.W. Li, T. N. Wong, N.T. Nguyen, J.C. Chai Numerical modeling of tunable optofluidics lens based on combined effect of hydrodynamics and electroosmosis, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 55, No 9-10, 2012, pp 2647-2655.
- S.A. Mousavi Shaegh, N.T. Nguyen, S.H. Chan, Air-breathing membraneless laminar flow-based fuel cell with flow-through anode, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 37, No. 4, 2012, pp. 3466-3476.
- Z.Z. Che, T.N. Wong, N.T. Nguyen, Heat transfer enhancement by recirculating flow within liquid plugs in microchannels, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 2012, Vol. 55, No. 7-8, 2012, pp. 1947-1956.
- N.T. Nguyen, Micro magnetofluidics - interactions between magnetism and fluid flow on the microscale, Microfluidics and Nanofluidics, Vol. 12, No. 1-4, 2012, pp. 1-16.
- T.F. Kong, W.K. Peng, T.D. Luong, N.T. Nguyen and J.Y. Han, Adhesive-based liquid metal radio-frequency microcoil for magnetic resonance relaxometry measurement, Lab on a Chip, Vol. 12, No. 2, 2012, pp. 287-294.
- B. Xu, N.T. Nguyen, T.N. Wong Temperature-induced droplet coalescence in microchannels, Biomicrofluidics, Vol. 6, No.1, 2012, pp. 012811.
- Z. Z. Che, T. N. Wong, N.T. Nguyen, J.C.K Chai, Formation and breakup of compound pendant drops at the tip of a capillary and its effect on upstream velocity fluctuations, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 55, No. 4, 2012, pp. 1022-1029.
- V.N. Phan, N.T. Nguyen, C. Yang, P. Joseph, A.M. Gue, Fabrication and experimental characterization of nanochannels, Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol. 134, No. 5, 2012, pp. 051012.