The Friends of the Arts have created a scholarship to support young and talented Gold Coast visual and performing artists. The scholarship is open to design and/or digital media honours degree students with a Visual Arts Focus, at Queensland College of Art, Griffith University. This scholarship is open to Gold Coast residents who are under 30 years of age as at 31 October in the year the scholarship will be awarded.
Valued at $5,000.
Apply by 12 pm Monday 29 March 2021
Can I apply?
To be eligible you must:
- be enrolled or have applied to enrol, full-time or part-time, in a design and/or digital media honours program with a Visual Arts Focus, at Queensland College of Art, Griffith University
- have a GPA of 4.0 or higher
- be under 30 years of age as at 31 October in the year the scholarship is awarded
- be a Gold Coast resident
- be an Australian Citizen or Australian Permanent Resident.
What do I include in my application?
To be considered for this scholarship you must complete the following sections within the application.
- Program: GPA, candidates with the highest GPA will be given preference
- Personal statements
- Scholarship benefit: please outline the benefit to yourself in receiving this scholarship and how this will help you achieve your goals.
A selection panel comprising the Deputy Director QCA Gold Coast, a QCA Gold Coast Design Convenor, an alumnus of QCA (Visual Arts) and Chairperson of the Friends of the Arts Gift Fund (or nominated representative) will review applications and select the recipient.
The scholarship is valued at $5,000 paid in a single payment after census on confirmation of enrolment.
Payments are made within six weeks after the census date.
The Friends of the Arts Gift Fund was established in 2006 to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the opening of the Arts Centre. The Gift Fund was established through a generous endowment by Jock and Beverley McIlwain who have continued to support the fund annually.
The purpose of the Gift Fund is to support young talented Gold Coast residents to reach their potential in the visual and performing arts whom may not have been in a financial position to do so. A number of grants are awarded each year by the Gift Fund and there have been outstanding success stories.
This is the first scholarship to be offered in support of the QCA, Griffith University Gold Coast and the Gift Fund is proud to be supporting this new initiative.
The Friends of the Arts have just celebrated their 30th Anniversary. The founders of the Friends' were instrumental in ensuring that the Arts Centre Gold Coast was built and used to maximum capacity. The Friends is a volunteer organisation, with a substantial membership base and administered by a board of directors.
Payment is made, after census, on confirmation that you are enrolled at Griffith University and still meet the eligibility requirements.
The recipient will also be required to:
- attend the Friends of the Arts Annual General Meeting or other relevant functions and be introduced as the recipient.
- at the AGM present and provide feedback on the visual impact of their work/area of study
Applications must be completed and submitted by the closing date.
Offers are made via email.
Applicants may be shortlisted and be required to provide additional information.
Griffith University reserves the right to withdraw an advertised scholarship at any time.