The Regional Journalism Scholarship supports students from regional and remote areas commencing study in the Bachelor of Communication and Journalism program.
The scholarship is valued at a maximum of $40,000 and is paid directly to the recipient's Student Contribution Charges.
Apply by: 4pm Monday 16 December 2019
Can I apply?
To be eligible you must:
- be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Humanitarian Visa Holder, Permanent Resident or New Zealand Citizen living in Australia
- be eligible for admission into Griffith University's Bachelor of Communication and Journalism program in 2020
- be from a regional or remote area as defined by the Australian Standard Geographic Classifications Remoteness area or have a sufficient connection to a regional or remote area by previously residing in a regional or remote area for a total of at least 3 years out of the last five years or completed your final two years of schooling in a high school or college in a regional or remote area. The University uses the Australian Bureau of Statistics Map with the 2016 Remoteness Area Boundary Type and geocoder Search to determine eligibility.
- not be in receipt of any other scholarship funding from the Commonwealth or State or territory government or other body
What do I include in my application?
To be considered for this scholarship you must complete the following sections within the application:
- Tertiary education history
- Secondary education history
- Program preferences - have applied for admission into the Bachelor of Communication and Journalism program at Griffith University in 2020
- Circumstances: Relocation: resided in a regional or remote area for a total of at least 3 years out of the last five years or completed your final two years of schooling in a high school or college in a regional or remote area.
- Personal statements:
- Career goals and aims: how your proposed program of study will equip you to work in a modern publishing environment
You must upload the following in the supporting documentation section. (Please use only the following formats- pdf, word, jpeg or excel, we can only guarantee these formats will be accepted)
- Supporting documentation:
- Other - provide documentation to evidence either your residential address or completion of your final 2 years of schooling in a regional or remote area.
Shortlisted applicants may be required to provide additional information and attend an interview.
This scholarship has a maximum value of $40,000 and covers the Student Contributions Charges (HECS) for the Bachelor of Communication and Journalism program. Contributions to your Student Contribution Charges (HECS)/tuition fees are made prior to census date subject to satisfying scholarship Terms and conditions.
To remain eligible for this scholarship, you will be required to:
- continue to satisfy the criteria to be considered a regional and remote student
- remain full time enrolled in the Bachelor of Communication and Journalism
- maintain good academic standing
- agree to your personal information in relation to this scholarship being provided to the Commonwealth together with evidence of eligibility, tuition costs or other evidence as reasonably required by the Commonwealth
- agree to your name and award of this Scholarship being publicly announced or otherwise published by the Commonwealth
The above conditions are verified each trimester at Census date. If a scholarship recipient fails to successfully meet these conditions, scholarship payments may be withheld, or the scholarship may be terminated.
Applications, including any supporting documentation, must be completed and submitted by the closing date.
Offers are made via email.
Applicants may be shortlisted and be required to provide additional information and attend an interview.