The Platinum Asset Management Scholarship will be awarded to students studying in the second year of the Bachelor of Commerce with a Financial Planning major.
There are five scholarships to be awarded, valued at $12,500 each, paid in instalments. In addition to generous financial support, there may be the opportunity for recipients to apply to participate in one month's work experience at Platinum Asset Management's Sydney office.
Applications currently closed.
Can I apply?
To be eligible you must:
- be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or Humanitarian Visa Holder
- be enrolled in the 2nd year of the Bachelor of Commerce degree, undertaking a major in Financial Planning at Griffith University
- have a Grade Point Average of 5.0 or above
- be studying full time
- not be in receipt of any other scholarship funding
- must complete and submit a full application by the closing date
Recipients must maintain the Financial Planning major into third year.
Recipients will be expected to attend a prize-giving event and maintain contact with the School and Platinum Asset Management as opportunities arise.
You must successfully complete your GBS program. Failure to successfully complete the program may result in you being required to repay your benefit or part thereof, at the discretion of the Griffith Business School Scholarship Selection Committee.
What do I include in my application?
To be considered for this scholarship you must complete the following sections within the application.
- Personal statements:
- Career goals and aims: What are your career goals and ambitions within the finance industry?
- Scholarship benefit: How will this scholarship assist in achieving these goals?
You must upload the following in the supporting documentation section. (Please us only the following formats- pdf, word, jpeg or excel. We can only guarantee these formats will be accepted)
- Curriculum vitae (CV) maximum one attachment
Maximum value is $12,500, payable in instalments. Payments of $6,250 are payable for each full time enrolled trimester up to maximum value of the scholarship. Payment are made within six weeks after the Census Date subject to conditions being meet.
In addition to generous financial support, there may be the opportunity for recipients to apply to participate in one month’s work experience at Platinum Asset Management’s Sydney office. Two students will be selected from the scholarship overall recipient pool to participate annually in this work experience program. The scholarship program is offered across three universities and recipients will be chosen from within current students enrolled in the program of study outlined above.
Platinum Asset Management is a Sydney-based manager specialising in investing in international equities. The investment team uses the thematic stock-picking approach that concentrates on identifying out-of-favour stocks with the objective of achieving superior returns for its clients. Platinum Asset Management pay no heed to recognised indices, and aim to protect against loss and will hedge stocks, indices and currencies in their endeavours to do so. Platinum Asset Management was founded in 1994 and now manages in excess of A$27 billion with around 7% of this from overseas investors. The company was listed on the ASX in May 2007, and Platinum’s staff continue to have relevant interests in the majority of Platinum Asset Managements issued shares.
The aim of the scholarship is to incentivise students who are passionate about financial planning and who have aspirations to a long-term career in the industry. "We recognise the vital role that financial planners play, not only in our business, but the investment management community generally and we see these scholarships as a way of supporting the efforts of the Financial Planning Association (FPA) to raise educational standards and encourage new talent to the industry."
To remain eligible for the scholarship, applicants will be required to:
- remain enrolled full-time for the duration of the scholarship benefit
- maintain a GPA of 5.0 or above for the duration of the scholarship
- recipient will be expected to attend a prize-giving event and maintain contact with the School and Platinum Asset Management as opportunities arise
- provide a report at the end of the scholarship period (details of which are to be determined in the conclusion with donor)
Applications, including any supporting documentation, must be completed and submitted by the closing date.
Offers are made via email.
Applicants may be shortlisted and be required to provide additional information.