The Ernie Hicks Memorial scholarship will be awarded to a student who has overcome significant personal adversity while achieving entrance to university, and who demonstrates a mature approach to study.
The scholarship is valued at $9,000 paid in trimester instalments over three years.
Applications currently closed.
Can I apply?
To be eligible you must:
- be an Australian Citizen, Permanent Resident or Humanitarian Visa Holder
- be a 2018 Year 12 school leaver (under 21 years of age)
- have applied for and be accepted to commence studying a full-time undergraduate academic program at Griffith University
- be a permanent resident of the Gold Coast, Queensland and have completed Grade 12 at a Gold Coast High School
- be prepared to attend meetings of the Rotary Club of Gold Coast to receive payment and speak briefly
What do I include in my application?
To be considered for this scholarship you must complete the following sections within the application.
- Secondary Education History
- Program Preferences
- Personal Statements:
- Career goals and aims: Demonstrated mature approach to study.
- Challenge(s) experienced: How have you overcome significant personal adversity while achieving entry to Griffith University?
* Applicants must be available to be interviewed by the assessment panel
Maximum value is $9,000, paid in instalments. Instalments of $1,500 are payable for each full time enrolled trimester up to maximum value of the scholarship, or over three years, whichever is the lesser.
Payments are made within six weeks after the Census Date subject to satisfying scholarship Terms and Conditions.
This scholarship is a perpetual scholarship funded by the Rotary Club of Gold Coast and is awarded annually in accordance with the Club guidelines to a student who has fulfilled the selection criteria. The scholarship will be awarded to a person who has overcome significant personal adversity while achieving entrance to university, and who demonstrates a mature approach to study. The selection panel holds the right to not award the scholarship in any given year if in their opinion there is no worthy candidate.
To remain eligible for the scholarship, you will be required to:
- remain full-time enrolled at Griffith University
- maintain good academic standing at Griffith University
- be prepared to attend meetings of the Rotary Club of Gold Coast (before each payment instalment) and speak briefly at those meetings
- continue to meet all other eligibility requirements
The above conditions are verified each trimester at Census date. If a scholarship recipient fails to successfully meet these conditions, scholarship payments may be withheld, or the scholarship may be terminated.
The scholarship can be suspended or revoked by the Club should the recipient not meet these conditions or display conduct and behaviour on or off campus considered by the selection panel to be likely to bring disgrace upon the scholarship, the University or the Club.
Applications must be completed and submitted by the closing date.
Offers are made via email.
Applicants may be shortlisted and be required to provide additional information.