The Ernie Hicks Memorial Scholarship will be awarded to a student who has overcome significant personal adversity while achieving entrance to university, and who demonstrates a mature approach to study.
Maximum value is $9,000, paid in instalments.
Applications currently closed.
Can I apply?
To be eligible you must:
- be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or humanitarian visa holder
- be a 2020 Year 12 school leaver (under 21 years of age)
- have applied for and be accepted to commence studying a full-time undergraduate academic program at Griffith University’s Gold Coast campus
- be a permanent resident of the Gold Coast, Queensland and have completed Grade 12 at a Gold Coast high school
- be prepared to attend meetings of the Rotary Club of Gold Coast (before each payment instalment) and speak briefly at those meetings.
What do I include in my application?
To be considered for this scholarship you must complete the following sections within the application.
- Secondary education history: Academic merit
- Program preferences
- Personal statements:
- Career goals and aims: Demonstrated mature approach to study.
- Challenge(s) experienced: How have you overcome significant personal adversity while achieving entry to Griffith University?
Shortlisted applicants will be required to attend an interview.
Maximum value is $9,000, paid in instalments. Instalments of $1,500 are payable for each full-time enrolled trimester up to maximum value of the scholarship, or over three years, whichever is the lesser.
This scholarship is a perpetual scholarship funded by the Rotary Club of Gold Coast and is awarded annually in accordance with the Club guidelines to a student who has fulfilled the selection criteria. The scholarship will be awarded to a person who has overcome significant personal adversity while achieving entrance to university, and who demonstrates a mature approach to study. The selection panel holds the right to not award the scholarship in any given year if in their opinion there is no worthy candidate.
To remain eligible for the scholarship, you will be required to:
- remain full-time enrolled at Griffith University's Gold Coast campus
- maintain a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 5 or above
- be prepared to attend meetings of the Rotary Club of Gold Coast (before each payment instalment; twice per year) and speak briefly at those meetings
- continue to meet all other eligibility requirements.
The above conditions are verified each trimester at census date. If a scholarship recipient fails to successfully meet these conditions, scholarship payments may be withheld, or the scholarship may be terminated.
The scholarship can be suspended or revoked by the Club should the recipient not meet these conditions or display conduct and behaviour on or off campus considered by the selection panel to be likely to bring disgrace upon the scholarship, the University or the Club.
Applications must be completed and submitted by the closing date.
Offers are made via email.
Applicants may be shortlisted and be required to provide additional information.
Griffith University reserves the right to withdraw an advertised scholarship at any time.