There are eight main discipline clusters within ERA. These are:
- Physical, Chemical and Earth Sciences
- Humanities and Creative Arts
- Engineering and Environmental Sciences
- Education and Human Society
- Economics and Commerce
- Mathematical, Information and Computing Sciences
- Biological and Biotechnological Sciences
- Medical and Health Sciences.
Each cluster includes a number of broad Fields of Research (2-digit FoR). These two-digit FoR comprise a range of specific fields of research (4-digit FoR). Evaluation is performed at the four-digit FoR level, except when it is below the volume threshold, in that case evaluation might be conducted at the two-digit FoR level.
Fields of research
All two, four and six-digit new Fields of Research codes (ANZSRC 2020) are listed here:
As ERA is a discipline-specific rating exercise, each research indicator can be assigned up to three four-digit FoR codes.