The Griffith University Research Ethics Manual (GUREM) is a series of booklets covering the design and conduct of human research. The documents may be used as a resource for ethical clearance applications and as a reference tool for research ethics reviewers.
About using GUREM
GUREM is broken up into booklets on specific ethical challenges, methodologies and potential participant pools. The manual isn’t intended to be read cover to cover. Instead, researchers can read booklets on specific topics or search the index to find particular material.
GUREM is a living document and is updated regularly to reflect external developments, feedback and requests. To be sure you’re accessing the latest information, refer to the GUREM booklet webpages rather than saving a PDF.
GUREM access and commercialisation
You must be logged into Griffith’s portal to view GUREM booklets. If you are an external researcher interested in obtaining the GUREM, please contact us.
We’re commercialising the GUREM through licenses to other universities and research institutions. Consequently, Griffith University staff are asked not to send copies of any booklet to anyone external to Griffith.
The GUREM is a living document that will be updated on the basis of feedback from researchers.
Griffith University Research Ethics Manual (GUREM)
CFollow the GUREM booklet links below to access specific material, or search topics via the index.
- 00 - Index - linked to all booklets (PDF 1.1Mb)
- 01 - Introduction to research ethics at Griffith University (PDF 1.5Mb)
- 02 - Research ethics review at Griffith University (PDF 1.3Mb)
- 03 - Responsibilities of researchers (PDF 1.4Mb)
- 04 - Conflicts of interest (PDF 966k)
- 05 - Monitoring of human research projects (PDF 1.1Mb)
- 06 - Variations to approved projects (PDF 1.3Mb)
- 07 - Processes for responding to complaints, alleged breaches of ethical standards, or appeals against decisions (PDF 1.1Mb)
- 08 - Research that has already been reviewed by another research ethics committee (PDF 781k)
- 09 - Beneficence: Risks and benefits in human research (PDF 1.6Mb)
- 10 - Indemnity and insurance (PDF 526k)
- 11 - GU Register of Approved Procedures (PDF 660k)
- 12 - Clinical research: Ethical and governance considerations (PDF 1.2Mb)
- 13 - The ethical design and conduct of clinical trials (PDF 1.3Mb)
- 14 - Clinical trials and pharmacological agents (PDF 861k)
- 15 - Clinical trials and medical devices (PDF 1.1Mb)
- 16 - Clinical trials and complementary medicines (PDF 990k)
- 17 - Determining whether your work needs ethical clearance (PDF 64k)
- 18 - Sources of advice on human research ethics matters (PDF 776k)
- 19 - Research that requires the approval of other bodies or organisations (PDF 739k)
- 20 - Student research and course ethical clearances (PDF 747k)
- 21 - Recruitment (PDF 1.8Mb)
- 22 - Voluntary & informed consent (PDF 1.6Mb)
- 23 - Regulatory and ethical privacy issues in human research (PDF 1.8Mb)
- 24 - Research that involves the participation of young people (PDF 1.1Mb)
- 25 - Research involving post-compulsory education students (PDF 824k)
- 26 - Respect for persons (PDF 1.0Mb)
- 27 - Unequal relationships and human research (PDF 1.0Mb)
- 28 - Human research and the participation of persons with mental or intellectual impairment, or who are unconscious, or otherwise unable to communicate their wishes (PDF 944)
- 29 - Language issues in human research (PDF 956k)
- 30 - Research with Australian Indigenous Peoples (PDF 1.8Mb)
- 31 - Human research and the ethical principle of justice (PDF 789k)
- 32 - Research involving human biospecimens (PDF 1.6Mb)
- 33 - Observation without consent, limited disclosure, deception, and/or qualified or waived consent (PDF 1.1Mb)
- 34 - Ethical issues in questionnaire-based research (PDF 923k)
- 35 - Ethical issues in focus group research (PDF 723k)
- 36 - Ethical issues in the use of audio-visual recording in human research (PDF 986k)
- 37 - Information technology and online research (PDF 1.8Mb)
- 38 - Merit and integrity in human research (PDF 944k)
- 39 - Human research conducted in other jurisdictions (PDF 1.1Mb)
- 40 - Research and the discovery of illegal behaviour (PDF 1.2Mb)
- 41 - Research ethics and human genetic research (PDF 1.4Mb)
- 42 - Banking and retesting of data, samples and biospecimens (PDF 947k)
- 43 - Ethical issues in case study research (PDF 805k)
- 44 - Ethical issues in telephone based research (PDF 823k)
- 45 - Human research involving ionising radiation (PDF 942k)
- 46 - Utilising external service providers in human research (PDF 946k)