Director, Griffith Climate Change Response Program
- The interactions between climate change, biodiversity and land use
- The role of science in policy formulation of environmental regulatory frameworks
- The nexus between climate change responses and sustainable development
- Science and policy of ecosystem-based adaptation and mitigation and related public policy issues
Memberships and affiliations
Brendan is a member of the International Council for the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN). He also serves on various governmental advisory bodies including the science advisory group to the Great Eastern Ranges Initiative.
Brendan has written over 150 academic publications including journal articles, books and book chapters.
- Porfirio L. Harris R., Stojanovic D., Webb M. and Mackey B. (2016) Projected direct and indirect effects of climate change for an endangered migratory species. EMU (published online May, 2016)
- Mackey B., Jacobs P. and Hugh S. (2016) Natural icons and threats: an approach to landscape conservation planning. PARKS 22.1
- Martine M., Ascelin G., Mackey, B., Possingham H. and Watson J. (2016) Interactions between biodiversity offsets and protected area commitments: avoiding perverse outcomes. Conservation Letters; Article first published online: 4 JAN 2016
- Willow Hallgren W., Beaumontb L., Bownessa A., Chambersc L., Grahamd E., Holewaa H., Laffane S., Mackey B., Nix H., Price J., Vanderwald J., Warren R. and Weisa G. (2016) The Biodiversity and Climate Change Virtual Laboratory: Where Ecology meets Big Data. Environmental Modelling & Software 76 (2016) 182-186
- Brendan Mackey and David Claudie, Points of contact: Integrating traditional and scientific knowledge for biocultural conservation. Environmental Ethics, Vol 37, Issue 3, Fall 2015, pages 341-357. DOI: 10.5840/enviroethics201537332
- Figgis P., Mackey B., Fitzsimons J., Irving J. and Clark P. (eds.) (2015) Valuing Nature: Protected Areas and Ecosystem Services. Australian Committee for IUCN Inc., Sydney. ISBN: 978-0-9871654-5-9
- Keith H., Lindenmayer D., Mackey B. and McIntosh A. (2015) Under What Circumstances Do Wood Products from Native Forests Benefit Climate Change Mitigation? PlosOne DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0139640.
- Kormos C.F., Bertzky B., Jaeger T., Shi Y., Badman T., Watson J.E.M., Hilty J., Mackey B., Mittermeier R.A., Locke H. and Osipova E. (2015) A Wilderness Approach under the World Heritage Convention. Conservation Letters.
- Maron M., Gordon A., Mackey B., Watson J. and Possigham H. (2015) Stop misuse of biodiversity offsets. NATURE 523:401-403; doi:10.1038/523401a.
- Gould S. and Mackey B. (2015) Site vegetation characteristics are more important than landscape context in determining bird assemblages in revegetation. Restoration Ecology; doi:10.1111/rec.12222
- Mackey B. and Rogers, N. (2015) Climate justice and the distribution of rights to emit carbon. Chapter 13 In Access to International Justice. P. Keyzer, V. Popovski and C. Sampford (eds.) Routledge, pp 225-240.
- Mackey, B., DellaSala, D.A., Kormos, C., Lindenmayer, D., Kumpel, N., Zimmerman, B., Hugh, S., Young, V., Foley, S., Arsenis, K. and Watson, J.E.M (2014) Policy options for the world’s primary forests in multilateral environmental agreements. Conservation Letters, published online August 2014 DOI: 10.1111/conl.12120
- Mackey B., Prentice I.C., Steffen W., House J.I., Lindenmayer D., Keith H. and Berry, S. (2013) Untangling the confusion around land carbon science and climate change mitigation policy. Nature Climate Change 3, 552–557; doi:10.1038/nclimate1804.
- Mackey B., Berry S., Hugh S., Ferrier S. , Harwood, T. and Williams K. (2012) Ecosystem greenspots: identifying potential drought, fire and climate change micro-refuges. Ecological Applications 22, 1852–1864.
- Keith H., Mackey B., Berry S., Lindenmayer, D. and Gibbons P. (2010) Estimating carbon carrying capacity in natural forest ecosystems across heterogeneous landscapes: addressing sources of error. Global Change Biology 16, 2971-2989.
- Keith K, Mackey B. and Lindenmayer D. (2009) Re-evaluation of forest biomass carbon stocks and lessons from the world's most carbon-dense forests. PNAS 106, 11635-11640.
- Mackey B., Berry S. and Brown T. (2008) Reconciling approaches to biogeographic regionalization: a systematic and generic framework examined with a case study of the Australian continent. Journal of Biogeography 35, 213–229.
- Mackey B.G., Lindenmayer D.B., Gill A.M., McCarthy A.M. and Lindesay J.A. (2002) Wildlife, fire and future climate: a forest ecosystem analysis. CSIRO Publishing.
- Mackey B.G. and Lindenmayer David B. (2001) Towards a hierarchical framework for modelling the spatial distribution of animals. Journal of Biogeography 28, 1147-1166
- Mackey B.G. (1993) A spatial analysis of the environmental relations of rainforest structure. Journal of Biogeography 20, 303-356.