State-of-the-art spaces and tools for developing new knowledge
Our research centres and institutes hold an array of major facilities, infrastructure, and equipment for dedicated research. Griffith is also a member of a range of external research facilities. Explore our research facilities and infrastructure below.
Griffith research centres and institutes
Centre for Clean Environment and Energy
Facilities and equipment include:
- Materials synthesis and preparation laboratory
- Energy storage research laboratory
- Clean fuel production and energy conversion laboratory
- Environmental sensing laboratory
- 3D printing laboratory
- Advanced materials characterisation laboratory.
Centre for Quantum Dynamics
Facilities and equipment include:
- Australian Attosecond Science Facility
- Molecular ecology laboratory
- Reaction microscope (captures charged fragments and measures 3D momenta)
- Waveguide fabrication facility
- E-beam lithography machine
- 3D laser lithography tool.
Clinical Trial Unit
Good Clinical Practice compliant trial facilities:
- 4-bed procedure room with emergency trolley, AED, ECQ and IV infusion equipment
- 6 consultation rooms, patient lounge and kitchenette
- Study coordinator room with 10 work spaces
- Phlebotomy room with separate lab processing area including non/refrigerated centrifuges
- Drug preparation room with temperature controlled storage facilities and biosafety cabinet
- Commercial grade data-logged fridges and -20 °C and -80°C freezers
- Dedicated monitoring space, secure document storage
Cities Research Institute
- Small research vessel with muti-role equipment
- Rapid deployment beach surveying system
- Rapid deployment bathymetric surveying system
- Water quality sampling
- Sediment sampling and analysis
- Coastal Observatory
- Underwater parametric observations
- Drogue tracking capabilities.
Griffith Criminology Institute
- Social analytics laboratory, a secure, enterprise-class data facility that provides infrastructure for the safe storage, access and analysis of social science data.
Griffith Institute for Tourism
- Eye-tracking laboratory for conducting research on user design and advertising evaluation.
Griffith Institute for Drug Discovery
Unique resources at the institute include:
- PC2 biosecurity laboratory
- High and low-resolution mass spectrometry facility
- High-resolution nuclear magnetic resonance facility
- High-throughput and high-content analysis screening
- High-resolution microscopy and live cell imaging
- Nature Bank.
DNA Sequencing Facility
The Griffith University DNA Sequencing Facility provides independent, high quality and competitively priced DNA Sequencing and Fragment Analysis services using the Applied Biosystems 3130xl Genetic Analyser and for next-generation sequencing applications, the Illumina MiSeq System.
- NATA/RCPA accredited in the field of Medical Testing for Sanger Sequencing Analysis and Fragment Analysis
Institute for Integrated and Intelligent Systems
- Robotics laboratory
- Image processing laboratory
- Big data laboratory
- HCI laboratory (idea lab)
- Optimisation laboratory.
Menzies Health Institute Queensland
- clinical trial unit for Phase I-IV clinical trials
- clinical trial randomisation service
- nanoString nCounter for rapid and reliable profiling of RNA and DNA.
Part of the Griffith Institute for Drug Discovery, Nature Bank is a unique storehouse of nature’s chemical diversity, comprising a collection of plant and marine invertebrate samples.