Your research degree

Whether you're beginning your research study or continuing at a higher level, our degrees provide a unique opportunity to follow a specific interest in a particular research area.

Doctor of Philosophy

The PhD is Griffith’s premier research training degree. It is awarded for a thesis (or a series of published papers), drafted under supervision, which makes an original, significant, and extensive contribution to knowledge and understanding in your field of study.

Learn more about PhDs

Doctor of Philosophy (by prior publication)

This degree can offer you formal recognition for your work if you are an established researcher and do not already hold a doctoral level qualification.

Learn more about PhDs by prior publication

Doctor of Medicine / Doctor of Philosophy concurrent pathway

The PhD will allow you to complete the first two years of the Doctor of Medicine program before commencing two years of full time PhD work in clinical research.

Learn more about concurrent pathways to a PhD

View Preview

Professional Doctorates

These are integrated degrees of professional and research work, and include doctoral level coursework associated with a thesis.

Master of Philosophy

The Master of Philosophy (MPhil) is awarded for a thesis, drafted under supervision, which presents original research and demonstrates both knowledge of a research topic and discipline. It is shorter than a PhD and offered across all schools.

Learn more about the MPhil

Specialist Masters by Research

These are specialist degrees which combine coursework with professional and/or artistic practice.

Research study abroad

International students currently enrolled in a research degree in a university overseas may undertake a research project at Griffith University for one to three semesters, under the research study abroad program.

You’ll be able to study in any research area, provided supervision and resources are available. Credit gained at Griffith is transferred toward the degree at your home institution, with that institution’s agreement.

Learn more about research study abroad

Joint PhD

A joint doctoral program allows you to undertake research at Griffith University and one of our partner universities.

Griffith offers a joint degree with the University of Chinese Academy of Sciences. Students undergo a five-year program commencing with one year of coursework training at UCAS, followed by a four-year research program at both UCAS and Griffith.

The GU-UCAS application round for Griffith University is currently closed.

Learn more about research study abroad

Program requirements

Griffith HDR programs have different requirements for entry and for completion. For general information on program requirements see our pathways and eligibility page. More details are available via the Degree and Career Finder, or in our Application Guide.

Fees and financial support

Australian (domestic) candidates are any applicants who are: Australian citizens; or New Zealand citizens residing in Australia; or holders of an Australian permanent residency visa; or holders of an Australian permanent humanitarian visa.

If you are a domestic candidate applying for a doctorate or masters by research, you are currently exempt from tuition fees under the federal government’s Research Training Program. You will need to consider additional study costs such as personal study materials and some support services.

Note. Doctor of Philosophy (by Prior Publication), Master of Science, and Graduate Diploma of Research Studies candidates are required to pay tuition fees.

Find out more

International candidates are any applicants who are not Australian or New Zealand citizens or Australian Permanent Residents, or a holder of an Australian Permanent Humanitarian visa.

International candidates study on a fee-paying basis and they must pay the full costs of their education through tuition fees, either directly or through a third party (sponsor, government, or scholarship). International candidates will also need to consider living costs associated with studying in Australia, such as living expenses and accommodation.

Find out more