(Note: * indicates written report produced for sponsoring organisation)
Competitive research grants
- The Relationship Between Working Arrangements and Wellbeing in Regional Coal–mining Communities; chief investigator, with Georgina Murray; ARC Linkage Grant, 2009 –
- Gender and Employment Equity: Strategies for Advancement in Australian Universities, chief investigator, with GJ Strachan; GM Whitehouse; JM Bailey; K Broadbent; ARC Linkage Grant, 2009 –.
- Emerging Workplaces and Employment Relations Innovation; chief investigator, with Adrian Wilkinson and Keith Townsend, ARC Discovery Grant, 2009 –.
- Building Institutions and Capabilities for Work and Employment in a Global Era: The Social Dynamics of Labour Regulation, International co-researcher and collaborator, Gregor Murray (project leader) and 71 researchers, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, Major Collaborative Research Initiatives Program, 2008–2014.
- Rethinking Institutions for Work and Employment in the Global Era, co-applicant, Gregor Murray (project leader) and 44 researchers, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, Major Collaborative Research Initiatives Program, 2003–2007.
- The transformation of workplace representation structures in Australian workplaces;chief investigator, with Barbara Pocock, ARC SPIRT Grant, 2001–2003.
- Working-time Transformations and Effects in Australian Workplaces; team leader, with Robert Russell, Cameron Allan & Kaye Broadbent, ARC SPIRT Grant, 2001–2002.
- The reconstruction and effectiveness of the Australian union movement; principal investigator, with Barbara Pocock, ARC Large Grant, 1999–2001.
Competitive research grants: internal
- Globalisation and Employment Relations: Korea, principal investigator, ARC Small Grant, 1999.
- Essential Service Unionism and the New Industrial Relations,with Jenny Fleming, CREW Research Grants Scheme, 1999.
- Research infrastructure - research assistant, principal investigator, with School of Industrial Relations, GU Infrastructure Scheme grant, 1999.
- Union organisation at the workplace , principal investigator, faculty grant, Faculty of Commerce and Administration, Griffith University, 1997.
Research consultancies and projects for international organisations
- Evaluation of Tripartite Declaration on Multinational Enterprises, International Labour Organisation, Geneva, March–July 2009.
- Tripartite Meeting of Experts on the Measurement of Decent Work, Independent expert, International Labour Organisation, Geneva, 8–10 September 2008.
- Social Dialogue Indicators: A Database on Trade Union Density, Collective Bargaining Coverage and other Industrial Relations Indicators, International Labour Organisation, invited academic expert, workshop, Geneva, 5-6 December 2001.
- Employment Relations and Globalisation in Malaysia, principal investigator, with Patricia Todd, for International Labour Organisation, Bangkok, August 1998.*
- Review of Minimum Wage Fixation in Thailand, 23 February-25 May 1996, for the International Labour Organisation and the Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs, Thailand.*
- Workshop to Improve the Skills of Conciliators, Kuala Lumpur, 8-9 November 1995, for the International Labour Organisation and the Department of Industrial Relations, Ministry of Human Resources, Malaysia (with A J McIntyre, Vice President, Australian Industrial Relations Commission).
- National Workshop on Linking Wages to Productivity, Kuala Lumpur, 15-16 December 1994, for the International Labour Organisation and the Ministry of Human Resources, Malaysia.*
- National Tripartite Seminar on Collective Bargaining, Haikou, Hainan, 24-27 October 1994, for the International Labour Organisation and the Ministry of Labor, People’s Republic of China (with Professor Russell Lansbury, University of Sydney).*
Australian research consultancies
- Coal Women: Her Story, Past and Present,with G. Murray, for Mining and Energy Division, Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union, Queensland, 2008.
- Profile of the Victorian Retail and Hospitality Industries, principal investigator with Robin Price, for Victorian Workplace Rights Advocate, Melbourne, 2007.
- The Impact of Individual Contracts Compared to Collective Agreements on Earnings in Different Industries, Occupations and Workplace Types, principal investigator with Alison Preston, for Victorian Department of Innovation, Industry & Regional Development, Melbourne, 2007.
- Assessing the effects of WorkChoices One Year On, principal investigator, for Victorian Department of Innovation, Industry & Regional Development, Melbourne, 2007.
- Women Miners and Miners’ Women, with G. Murray, for Mining and Energy Division, Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union, Queensland, 2006.
- Towards a Cooperative National Industrial Relations System, principal co-investigator with M Mourell, for Queensland Department of Industrial Relations, Brisbane, 2004.
- The Decline of Collectivism, principal investigator, for Queensland Department of Industrial Relations, Brisbane, 2003.
- Post-retrenchment experience of older employees, longer tenure employees and casual employees, principal investigator and expert witness, commissioned by Queensland Council of Unions, 2002*.
- Individual Contracts and Unionism, Federal Court expert witness report in Finance Sector Union vs Commonwealth Bank of Australia, commissioned by Maurice Blackburn Cashman, March 2001.*
- Pay Equity, principal investigator with Rosemary Hunter and nine researchers, for Department of Employment, Training and Industrial Relations, Brisbane, October 2000.*
- Enterprise Bargaining and Industrial Relations at Redland Shire Council, principal investigator, with Cameron Allan, Catherine Scully and ACIRRT, for Redland Shire Council, Brisbane, October 2000.*
- Union Service Fee for Non-Members, principal investigator, for Department of Employment, Training and Industrial Relations, Brisbane, April 1999.*
- Affirmative Action Act: Analysis of AWIRS, principal investigator, with Margaret Gardner, Kerry Brown and Sandra Berns, for Secretariat to Review of Affirmative Action Act, Department of Workplace Relations and Small Business, Canberra, April 1998.
- Industry Profiles, principal investigator, for Department of Workplace Relations and Small Business, Canberra, January 1998.*
- Employee Attitudes to Workplace Change, supervisor, with John Farren, internship project for Alstom Transformers, Brisbane, July 1998.*
Australian professional consultancies and projects
- National Workshop of Labour Councils, joint coordinator and facilitator, for Queensland Council of Unions, April–June 2003.
- Executive briefings on Employment Law, July 1997, for Brisbane City Council.
- Executive briefings on Employment Law, March 1997, for Queensland Rail.
- Wages developments, with Bruce Chapman, October 1996, for Rothschild Australia.*
- BCA Report on Enterprise-Based Bargaining Units, 1989, for Labor Council of NSW, Sydney (with S Frenkel).
- Evaluation of Political Market Research, August 1982, for Australian Labor Party, Canberra.*