Current Teaching Responsibilities
I am currently the lecturer and convenor for the following subjects:
- 2204BPS - Introduction to Mathematical Modelling (Semester 2)
- 3201BPS - Advanced Differential Equations and Modelling (Semester 1)
- 3202BPS - Biological Mathematics (Semester 2)
- 6203BPS_P1 - Honours Partial Differential Equations (Semester 1)
- Excellent Medium Sized Course Outcome - Semester 1, 2009.
- Superior Small Size Course Outcome - Semester 1, 2009.
- Superior Small Size Course Outcome - Semester 2, 2009.
- Superior Small Size Course Outcome - Semester 2, 2010.
- Superior Small Size Course Outcome - Semester 2, 2011.
- Peter R. Johnston. "How long is my toilet roll? - A simple exercise in mathematical modelling", International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology, (Accepted for Publication, 2013). (Rank A).
PhD and Honours Student Supervision
Current PhD students and their thesis topics:
- Josef Barnes - Mathematically Modelling the Electrophysiological Effects of Ischaemia in the Heart
- Md Hamidul Islam - Mathematical Modelling of the inflammatory Response in Coronary Artery Disease
- David Harman - Uncertainty Quantification in Population Models
Past PhD students and their thesis titles (through the University of Tasmania):
- S. C. Tjin, "Fibre Optic Laser Doppler Anemometry" (Awarded 1991)
- T. J. Gale, "Modelling the Electric Field from Implantable Defibrillators" (Awarded 1995)
- C. Y. Li, "A Computer Simulation of ST Segment Shift in Myocardial Ischaemia" (Awarded 1998)
- Q. Li, "Transmyocardial ST potential distributions in ischaemic heart disease" (Awarded 2005)
- L. S. Graham, "The determination of Bidomain conductivity tensors of heart tissue" (Awarded 2008)
Past Honours students and their thesis titles:
- K.Evangelista, "Error Analysis of Nearly Singular Integrals in the Boundary Element Method" (2003)
- G. Miles, "Meshing Studies in Computational Fluid Dynamics" (2003)
- G. Bignell, "Mathematical Modelling of Pulmonary Gas Exchange" (2004)
- J. Gordon, "Mathematical Modelling of Two--Phase Tumor Growth" (2004)
- S. Davie, "A Simple Model of Asynchronous Emptying of the Lungs" (2008)
- J. Barnes, "Obtaining `Good' Solutions to the Inverse Problem of Electrocardiography" (2008)
- A. Smith, "The Bidomain Equations for Ischaemic Heart Tissue" (2008)
- D. Harman, "Approximating Reaction Velocities of Enzyme Catalysed Reactions" (2012)