BSc, BEd, PhD (Qld), MLitt (UNE)
Professor Emeritus of Higher Education
Academic profile and research expertise
- Assessing student achievement; especially in higher education
- Academic achievement standards; grading policy and practices
- Formative assessment; feedback and alternatives to feedback
- Assessment theory, methodology, policy and ethics
- Educational testing and measurement
- Improving university teaching and learning.
Current and recent projects
- Research and publication program: The two research foci are academic achievement standards in higher education, and making assessment work more effectively for improving student learning. The main work is published as articles in peer-reviewed journals.
For details of articles that are currently in press or under development, please contact the author by email.
- Project name (2007): Audit of assessment requirements in 64 first year Griffith University courses. (PDF 516k) Funding: Griffith internal grant, $20,000.
- Sadler, D. R. (In press). Academic freedom, achievement standards and professional identity. Quality in Higher Education. 17, 103-118.
- Sadler, D.R. (In press). Beyond feedback: Developing student capability in complex appraisal. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education. 35, 535-550.
- Sadler, D.R. (In press). Assessment in higher education. In E. Baker, B. McGaw & P. Peterson (eds). International encyclopedia of education. Oxford: Elsevier.
- Sadler, D.R. (In press). Fidelity as a precondition for integrity in grading academic achievement. Assessment and Evaluation in Higher Education.
- Sadler, D.R. (In press). Grade integrity and the representation of academic achievement. Studies in Higher Education.
- Sadler, D.R. (2009). Transforming holistic assessment and grading into a vehicle for complex learning. In G. Joughin (ed.) Assessment, learning and judgement in higher education. Dordrecht: Springer. (Ch. 4, pp. 45-63)
- Sadler, D.R. (2009). Indeterminacy in the use of preset criteria for assessment and grading in higher education. Assessment and Evaluation in Higher Education, 34, 159-179.
- Sadler, D.R. (2008). Formative assessment and the design of instructional systems. Republished in W. Harlen (Ed). (2008). Student assessment and testing. Ch. 14, Vol. 2, 3 28. London: SAGE. (Original publication: Instructional Science, 1989, 18, 119 144.)
- Sadler, D.R. (2007). Perils in the meticulous specification of goals and assessment criteria. Assessment in Education: Principles, Policy and Practice. 14, 387 392.
- Sadler, D.R. (2005). Interpretations of criteria-based assessment and grading in higher education. Assessment and Evaluation in Higher Education, 30, 175-194.
For list of pre-2005 articles (with abstracts), please contact the author by email.
Service to the Academic Community
- Consultancy for universities on assessment policy and grading to Groups, Faculties, departments and Schools within Griffith University, and to other universities and public and professional agencies by negotiation.
- Member of Editorial Advisory Board and manuscript reviewer for:
- Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education (UK)
- Assessment in Education: Principles, Policy and Practice (UK)
- Journal manuscript reviewing: Educational Assessment (USA); Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis (USA); Higher Education (UK); Higher Education Research and Development (AU); International Journal of Testing (USA); Studies in Higher Education (UK).