"Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world, stimulating progress, giving birth to evolution. It is, strictly speaking, a real factor in scientific research." - Albert Einstein, 1929
Dr. Dao's research interests are on MEMS and NEMS (Micro/Nano Electromechanical Systems) technology, especially, on following topics:
- Micro/Nano machining technology, 3D printing technology
- Nanostructured materials (Si, SiC nanowires, CNT, graphene, Photonic crystal)
- Silicon carbide Sensors for harsh environments, such as mining and deep-oil exploration.
- MEMS Technology: Si and SiC micro-machined Sensors & Actuators, Polymer-MEMS, Optical-MEMS.
- Micro and Nano Mechatronics: Integration of MEMS sensors & actuators, mechanics, electronics and control to perform precise motions and operations.
- Mechatronics and Robotics
Total research fund received since 2012: $2.647M
Current PhD candidates
- Ashkan Vatani (2014)
- Boyi Wang (2015)
- Riduan Md Foisal (2015)
- Nguyen Tuan Khoa (2015)
- Jarred Fastier-Wooller (2016)
- Aymen Ahmed Salih Al Al-Baaj (2015, Co-supervision with Prof Ljubo Vlacic)
- Vivekananthan Balakrishnan (2016, Co-supervision with Prof Nam-Trung Nguyen)
- Amirhossein Lotfi (2016, Co-supervision with Dr Huaizhong Li)
- Jing Jin (2017, Co-supervision with Prof Nam-Trung Nguyen)
- Dr Hoang-Phuong Phan (2016) (Current position: Research Fellow, QMNC, Griffith, Personal Homepage)
- Dr Afzaal Qamar (2017) (Current position: Research Fellow, Electrical Engineering & Computer Science (EECS), University of Michigan)
- Dr Chin Hong Ooi (2017) (Current position: Research Fellow, QMNC, Griffith)
- Dr Toan Dinh (2017) (Current position: Research Fellow, QMNC, Griffith)
- Dr Shahrzad Mohammadshahi (2017) (Researcher and TA, Griffith)
MPhil and Advanced study students
- Fisher Grubb (2013 - 2015, Academic Supervisor)
- Harrison Brooke (2013-2014, Academic Supervisor)
- Jason Devsam (2013-2014, Academic Supervisor)
- Aidan George (2012-2013, Academic Supervisor)
- Michael Howes (2012-2013, Academic Supervisor)
- Highly motivated Graduate Students from top tier universities with excellent track record in applied physics, electronics, mechanics, MEMS/NEMS technology, sensors and actuators, micro/nano fabrication are welcome. Various scholarship programs will be recommended upon discussion.
Queensland Micro and Nanotechnology Center and Mechatronics Laboratory.
- SPT Microtechnologies (USA) in the Total budget: $563,000.
- SuperCool Asia Pacific Pty Ltd (Australia) in the INNOVATIVE MANUFACTURING CRC Project "Develop and manufacture a smart electric compressor for refrigeration and air conditioning on electric vehicles". 2017-2019. Total budget: $365,220.
- From 2003 to 2011, Dr. Dao had conducted many cooperative research projects with Japanese companies to develop MEMS/NEMS products. For example, Olympus Corp, Omron Corp, Konica-Minolta Inc, Tamagawa Seiki, Horiba Corp, Towa Corp, Microstone, Tokairika Co Ltd, and so on.