Refereed journal articles
- Bath, D., & Smith, C. D.(2009). The relationship between epistemological beliefs and the propensity for lifelong learning. Studies in Continuing Education, 31(2), 173-189.
- Smith, C. D. (2008). Building effectiveness in teaching through targeted evaluation and response: Connecting evaluation to teaching improvement in higher education. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 33(5), 517-533.
- Smith, C. D. (2008). Design Focused Evaluation. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 33(6), 631-645.
- Smith, C .and Bath, D.M. (2006) The role of the learning community in the development of discipline knowledge and generic graduate outcomes. Higher Education, Vol 51, Num 2, pp 259-286..
- Bath, D.M., and Smith, C ., Stein, S., and Swann, R. (2004). Beyond mapping and embedding graduate attributes: bringing together quality assurance and action learning to create a validated and living curriculum. Higher Education Research and Development, 23 (3), 313-328..
- Manathunga, C., Smith, C.D ., and Bath, D. M. (2004). Developing and evaluating authentic integration between research and coursework in professional doctorate programs. Teaching in Higher Education, 9 (2) , 235-246..
- Bath, D.M, and Smith, C.D . (2004). Academic developers: An academic tribe claiming their territory in higher education. International Journal for Academic Development, 9 (1), 9–27.
- Smith, C. D ., and Bath, D.M.(2004). Evaluation of a University-wide strategy for the development of tutors . Mentoring and Tutoring, 12 (1), 107-122.
- Smith, C. D . and Bath, D.M. (2004). Evaluation of a collaborative staff development strategy for the development of departmental tutor trainers. International Journal for Academic Development, 8 (1/2), 145-158 ..
- Smith, C., Herbert, D., Robinson, W., & Watt, K. (2001). Quality assurance through a continuous curriculum review (CCR) strategy: reflections on a pilot project. Assessment and Evaluation in Higher Education, 26 (5), 489-502..
- Smith, C. D., and Short, P. M. (2001). Integrating Technology to Improve the Efficiency of Qualitative Data Analysis - a Note on Methods. Qualitative Sociology, 24(3), 401-408.
Papers under review/in preparation/accepted for publication
- Smith, C. D. (2010 accepted). Evaluating the quality of work-integrated learning curricula: a comprehensive framework. Higher Education Research & Development, xx(yy), pp.
- Smith, C. D., Worsfold, K., Fisher, R., McPhail, R., & Davies, L. (in prep). Quantification of improvements in student assessment literacy and learning performance from a brief classroom intervention Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, xx(yy), pp.
- Smith, C. D. (in prep). Unpacking the learning-work nexus.
- Smith, C. D., & Crane, D. (in prep). Framing the foci of RHD supervision: integrating person, process and product. Teaching in Higher Education.
Invited presentations and keynotes
- Smith, C. D. (2010). How do you know your WIL curriculum is producing “competitive advantage”? , NZACE - NZ Assoc for Cooperative Education. Waikato.
- Smith, C. D. (2009). Raising the bar on Scholarship of Learning and Teaching, Annual teaching awards. University of Wales at Newport, Wales.
- Bath, D., & Smith, C. D. (2009). The emerging importance of epistemological beliefs as a learning outcome of higher education, Invited presentation. Hong Kong University.
- Smith, C. D. (2009). How do you know your WIL curriculum is working? Essential elements of WIL curricula design and how to evaluate them, Annual Griffith WIL Symposium. Brisbane, Australia.
- Conceptions of Embeddedness: Research-based learning generic skills and the undergraduate curriculum. Keynote address at Scottish QAA Enhancement Themes Conference 6 March, 2008. Powerpoint Presentation1
- Smith C.D. and Bath D.N. Embedding Generic Skills Development in Curriculum: Strategies & Issues. Presentation to the Carrick-funded Engineering Meta-attributes Project Brisbane forum. Brisbane, 13 April, 2007.
- Design-focused evaluation: invited presentation to the Australasian Evaluation Society (14 June 2003, Brisbane)
- Evaluation of teaching effectiveness: invited presentation to Learning Advisors Forum (August 2006).
- Smith, C. D., & Clarke, J. (2009). Beyond Phronesis: the possibilities of the ontogenic curriculum, SRHE. 7-9 December, 2009. Newport Wales.
- SMITH, C. D. (2008) Construct validation of WIL evaluation measures. Paper accepted for presentation at WACE/ACEN conference, Sydney, November 2008.
- Smith, C. D., and Herbert, D. M. (2002, 28-30 October). Transforming the transformers: the impact of external quality audit on universities and ADUs. Paper presented at the 7th Annual Seminar on Quality in Higher Education, Melbourne, Australia.
- Smith, C. D., and Herbert, D. M. (2002, 14-15 Nov). Evaluating Programs in a Quality Assurance Environment: The UQ Student Experience Survey. Paper presented at the Evaluations and Assessment Conference, Brisbane, Australia.
- Smith, C. D., and Herbert, D. (2001, July 2001). Creating a Quality Culture through Partnerships: Dancing with wolves or throwing a cat among pigeons? Paper presented at the HERDSA, Newcastle, Australia.
- Smith, C. D., Isaacs, G., Holzl, A., Herbert, D., & Roulston, K. (2001). The first cohort at a new campus: Who are they? What do they bring? Where are they going? Why did they come? Paper presented at the ASET/HERDSA Conference, 2000, Toowoomba, Australia.
- Smith, C. D., and Robinson, W. (2000). Continuous Curriculum Review: A stimulus for Rapid Change. Assessing Quality in Higher Education, Conference, RMIT, Melbourne, July, 2000.
- Smith, C. D., and Robinson, W. (1999). Continuous Curriculum Review: A stimulus for Rapid Change. Effective Teaching at University, Conference, UQ, November, 1999.
- Smith, C. D. (1999). Teaching and Learning Quality Assurance and Performance Indicators in a Market Driven Context – Beyond the CEQ. HERDSA Conference, Melbourne, July 1999.
- Smith, C. D. (1999). Forming Reflective Teams for Peer Review of Teaching: What Works. HERDSA Conference, Melbourne, July 1999.