PhD, M Education, GDip Computing, B Music Education
Head of Music Technology, Queensland Conservatorium
Professor of Digital Arts, Queensland Conservatorium
Contact details for Professor Andrew Brown
Professor Brown's research focuses on augmenting our creative intelligence through interactions with computer systems, about which he has published widely and been the winner of numerous research grants. His research interests include:
- Algorithmic Music
- Computational Arts
- Music Technology
- Creativity Support Systems
- Interaction Design
- Music Education
Current teaching areas
- Interactive Music
- Sound Musicianship 1
- Sound Musicianship 2
- Teaching Masters, DMA and PhD students
After Professor Andrew Brown studied classical and jazz piano at The University of Melbourne he worked as a keyboard player in touring bands through the 1980s. During this time an interest in electronic keyboards grew into a passion for music technology more broadly. This passion has fuelled an academic career in teaching and research at The University of Melbourne, Queensland University of Technology, the Australasian CRC for Interaction Design and now Griffith University. His current performance practice is laptop live coding and he is involved in a range of digital arts practices.
- Brown, A. R., and Nelson, J. (2013). Digital music and media creativities. In P. Burnard (Ed.), Developing Creatives in Higher Music Education: International perspectives and practices (pp. 61–74). Abingdon, Oxford: Routledge.
- Brown, A. R., and Gifford, T. (2013). Prediction and Proactivity in Real-Time Interactive Music Systems. In Musical Metacreation: Papers from the 2013 AIIDE Workshop (pp. 35–39). Presented at the Ninth AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Interactive Digital Entertainment, Boston, USA: AAAI.
- Gifford, T., and Brown, A. R. (2013). Cybernetic Configurations: Characteristics of Interactivity in the Digital Arts. In Proceedings of the International Society for Electronic Arts (p. Accepted). Presented at the ISEA 2013, Sydney: ISEA.
- Brown, A. R., Gifford, T., and Voltz, B. (2013). Factors affecting audience perceptions of agency in human-computer musical partnerships. In Proceedings of Creativity and Cognition 2013, Sydney: UTS.
- Brown, A. R., Gifford, T., and Davidson, R. (2013). Amplifying Compositional Intelligence: Creating with a psychologically-inspired generative music system. In Proceedings of the International Computer Music Conference, Perth: ICMA, pp. 257-360.
- Brown, A. R., and Dillon, S. "Meaningful Engagement with Music Composition." In The Act of Music Composition: Studies in the Creative Process, edited by David Collins, 79–110. Surry, UK: Ashgate, 2012.
- Brown, A. R. 2012. Musicianship in a Globalised World. In A. R. Brown (Ed.), Sound Musicianship: Understanding the Crafts of Music (pp. 1–13). Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Press.
- Jenkins, G., Barrett, L., and Brown, A. R. 2012. Sound Media Musicianship. In A. R. Brown (Ed.), Sound Musicianship: Understanding the Crafts of Music (pp. 335–345). Newcastle upon Tyne: Cambridge Scholars Press.
- Brown, A. R., and Dillon, S. (2012). Collaborative Digital Media Performance with Generative Music Systems. In G. McPherson and G. Welch (Eds.), The Oxford Handbook of Music Education (Vol. 2, pp. 549–566). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Adkins, B., Bartleet, B.-L., Brown, A. R., Foster, A., Hirche, K., Procopis, B., Ruthmann, A., et al. 2012. "Music as a tool for social transformation: A dedication to the life and work of Steve Dillon (20 March 1953 - 1 April 2012)." International Journal of Community Music, 5(2), 189–205.
- Brown, A. R. 2012. Creative Partnerships with Technology: How creativity is enhanced through interactions with generative computational systems. Proceedings of the Eighth Annual AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Interactive Digital Entertainment. Presented at the 1st International Workshop on Musical Metacreation, Stanford, CA: AAAI.
- Brown, A. R. and Dillon, S. 2012. "eBILITY: from tool use to partnerships." Journal of Music Technology in Education. 4(2 and 3):201-215.
- Brown, A. R. 2012. Experience Design and Interactive Software in Music Education Research. Visions of Research in Music Education, 20.
- Brown, A. R., Wooller, R. and Miranda, E. R. 2011. Evolutionary Morphing for Music Composition. In, A-Life for Music: Music: Music and Computer Models of Living Systems. E. R. Miranda, Ed. Middleton, WI, A-R Editions: 115-132.
- Gifford, T., and Brown, A. R. 2011. Beyond Reflexivity: Mediating between imitative and intelligent action in an interactive music system. Paper presented at the 25th BCS Conference on Human-Computer Interaction. Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK.
- Opie, T., and Brown, A. R. 2011. Eco-Structuralism in Practice. Paper presented at the Australasian Computer Music Conference, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Wooller, R. and Brown, A. R. 2011. Note sequence morphing algorithms for performance of electronic dance music. Digital Creativity, 22(1):13-25
- Brown, A. R. 2011. "Kings Anatomy" (edited version). In, "Live Coding Practices" Computer Music Journal DVD, The MIT Press. 35(4). 2011.
- Brown, A. R. 2011. "Generative Structures", a solo live coding performance. Australasian Computer Music Conference: Auckland, New Zealand. 8 July 2011.
- Livingston, S., Muhlberger, R., Brown, A. R. and Thompson, W. F. 2010. Changing Musical Emotion: A Computational Rule System for Modifying Score and Performance. Computer Music Journal 34(1): 41-64.
- Brown, A. R. 2010. Visualizing Digital Media Interactions: Providing feedback on jam2jam AV performances. OzCHI 2010: design-interaction-participation. R. Robinson and M. Bodket (Eds). Brisbane, Australia, CHISIG, pp. 196-199.
- Gifford, T. and Brown, A. R. 2010. Anticipatory Timing In Algorithmic Rhythm Generation. Australasian Computer Music Conference, Canberra: Australasian Computer Music Association, pp.21-28
- Brown, A. R. 2010. "Untitled", a peer reviewed solo performance. New Interfaces for Musical Expression: University of Technology Sydney, Sydney, June 17 2010.
- Collins, N. and Brown, A. R. 2009. Generative Music Editorial. Contemporary Music Review 28(1): 1-4.
- Brown, A. R. and Sorensen, A. 2009. Interacting with Generative Music through Live Coding. Contemporary Music Review 28(1): 17-29.
- Brown, A. R. and Sorensen, A. 2009. Integrating Creative Practice and Research in the Digital Media Arts. In, Dean, R. and Smith, H. Practice-led Research, Research-led Practice in the Creative Arts. Edinburgh, Edinburgh University Press, pp. 153-165.
- Brown, A. R. and Dillon, S. C. 2007. Networked Improvisational Musical Environments: Learning through online collaborative music making. In Finney, J. and Burnard, P. (Eds.) Music Education with Digital Technology. London: Continuum, pp. 96-106.
- Brown A. R. 2007. Computers in Music Education: Amplifying Musicality. New York: Routledge
- Brown, A. R. 2005. Making Music With Java. Raleigh, North Carolina: Lulu.