- endorsed and published by standards agencies such as Standards Australia or ISO
- publicly documented, i.e. complete authoritative specifications are available
- the product of collaborative development and consultative processes, and / or
- widely used and accepted as best practice within your discipline or other user communities.
You should also assess the long-term accessibility of any hardware and software used to create and manipulate research data.
If you develop software as part of your research, follow available best practice guidelines for developing, releasing and licensing your software.
Resources and contacts
- File formats (Australian National Data Service)
- Tips and tricks for sustainable software and development (Software Sustainability Institute, UK)
- Seek advice from eResearch Services, if required.